Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rotation of a magnetic computer disk

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1

Hey guys, does anyone know how to approach these two problems .... can u please help me ?

Question 1. A magnetic computer disk 8.0 am in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at 600 rad/s2 for ½ s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another ½ s. What is the speed of the dot at t=1.0 s ? Through how many revolutions has it turned?

Question 2. A 300 g ball and a 600 g ball are connected by a 40-cm-long massless, rigid rod. The structure rotates about its center of mass at 100rpm. What is the rotational kinetic energy ?

I'll be really really thankful if you guys tell me how to approach these problems step by step.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, ada15. First of all, do not double-post your questions. I deleted your duplicate thread in the Advanced Physics forum.

Second, you must show some of your own work in order to get our help. How would you start question -1- ?

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3

Doc Al

As berkeman says, you'll have to do some work on your own and show where you got stuck to get help. Here are some hints:

(1) Understand http://canario.iqm.unicamp.br/MATDID/HyperPhysics/hbase/mi.html#rlin"; this is a rotational kinematics problem.
    (2) What's the definition of rotational KE? What's the center of mass? What's the rotational inertia?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  5. Dec 7, 2009 #4
    I have a similar problem to this. The numbers are slightly different, though.

A 260 g ball and a 510 g ball are connected by a 37.0-cm-long massless, rigid rod. The structure rotates about its center of mass at 140 rpm.

What is its rotational kinetic energy?

Well, I know I will need to find the center of mass first.

((.260kg)(0m) + (.510kg)(.37m))/(.26kg + .51kg) = .245 m

Knowing the center of mass, then I can find I

I= (m1)(r1^2)+(m2)(r2^2)
    I=(.269kg)(-.245^2)+(.510kg)((.37-.245)^2)= .024 kgm^2

Now, I am not sure where I need to go from here.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5

Doc Al

What's the definition of rotational kinetic energy?

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6
    KE= (1/2)mv^2

8. Dec 7, 2009 #7

Doc Al

That's translational KE. What's the corresponding formula for rotational KE?

9. Dec 7, 2009 #8

berkeman

That's the kinetic energy for linear motion. What is it for rotational motion? Hint -- just as mass comes into play for linear KE, the "moment of inertia" comes into play for rotational KE...

10. Dec 7, 2009 #9
    Ooooooh. K=(1/2)Iw^2

w(omega) = 140rpm(1min/60sec)(2pi/rotation)=14.66 rad/s

Krot= (1/2)(.024kgm^2)(14.66 rad/s)^2 = 2.53 J

Thanks A LOT. This was the one problem out of my homework that was kicking my behind.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook