Angular Momentum: Inelastic Collision of Disk-Ball System

In summary, a uniform disk of radius R=1m is rotating at an angular velocity of ω=2rads/s about a perpendicular axle passing through its center. A small ball of mass m=1 is launched with a speed of v=4m/s in the same plane as the disk and sticks to the disk after collision, with its trajectory d=0.5m above the horizontal axis. The problem involves finding the angular velocity after the collision and calculating the loss of kinetic energy during the collision. To solve this, conservation of angular momentum and the parallel axis theorem can be applied, and the rotational and linear kinetic energy of the disk and ball can be compared before and after the collision.
maxhersch

Homework Statement

A uniform disk of radius R=1m rotates counterclockwise with angular velocity ω=2rads/s about a fixed perpendicular axle passing through its center. The rotational inertia of the disk relative to this axis is I=9kg⋅m2. A small ball of mass m=1 is launched with speed v=4m/s in the plane of the disk and remains stuck to the disk after collision and the trajectory of the ball is d=0.5m above the horizontal axis. Neglect gravity and assume the axle is frictionless.

a) Find the angular velocity after the collision .
b) Compute the loss of kinetic energy during the collision.

Homework Equations

L = Iω = r × p = m(r × v)
K = ½Iω2
K = mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a similar problem in which a ball is dropped on a disk rotating on a vertical axis in which case the ball does not cause any net torque. In this case the problem is simply L = (I+md2)ω which you can solve for ω. However, in this problem, the ball does cause a torque I attempted to use the same equation but I know this isn't the right way to do it. I can't find an example of this kind of problem anywhere online so hopefully someone here can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The axle is horizontal? The ball sticks to the disc where? Edge? 0.5 meter from axle? Ball is launched with, or counter to the direction of disc's rotation?

So... as hella confusing as that question is worded, I'm going to assume a thing or two...

Since the ball is in the plane of the disk, I'm going to assume that it is shot in the direction (or counter to it -) of the spin. My response to this is to calculate the angular momentum of the ball at R = 0.5m away from center. Just imagine that both the ball and the tip of the disk travel in a circular fashion, just that before the ball sticks, it begins to rotate separate of the disk. And then they combine. After that, since you'll now have the Angular Momentum of Both, you can apply the conservation of angular momentum (and parallel axis theorem).

As to the Kinetic Energy, calculate both the Rotational Kinetic Energy of the disk and also the Linear Kinetic Energy of the ball (before colliding). Then compare to the Energy calculated afterwards.

(Also, your equation for the Linear Kinetic Energy is incorrect, try adding a 1/2 in front -like the rotational one)

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the sum of the angular momenta of all objects involved in the collision before and after the collision is the same.

3. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some energy is lost due to deformation or friction during the collision.

4. How does the collision between a disk and a ball affect their angular momenta?

In an inelastic collision between a disk and a ball, the angular momentum of the disk decreases while the angular momentum of the ball increases. This is because the ball gains some rotational motion from the disk during the collision.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum related to the conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is closely related to the conservation of linear momentum. In fact, angular momentum is often referred to as the rotational equivalent of linear momentum. Both principles state that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.