Rotation operators on Bloch sphere

In summary: It's just a way of looking at things, and it depends on what you're doing which is more useful. In summary, the rotation operators R_x, R_y, and R_z can be represented by 2x2 matrices that correspond to spinor representations of the vectors (x,y,z) after being rotated by an angle \theta. The factor of 1/2 in the operators comes from converting axis-angle rotations into quaternion rotations, and can be eliminated when working with unitary matrices. However, this requires a phase correction and can lead to discontinuities in the phase.
jimmycricket
Can anyone explain to me why the following operators are rotation operators:
[tex]
\begin{align*}R_x(\theta) &= e^{-i\theta X/2}=\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})I-i\sin(\frac{\theta}{2})X=
\left(\!\begin{array}{cc}\cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & -i\sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\ -i\sin(\frac{\theta}{2})& \cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \end{array}\!\right)\\
R_y(\theta) &= e^{-i\theta Y/2}=\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})I-i\sin(\frac{\theta}{2})Y=\left(\!\begin{array}{cc}\cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) & -\sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) \\ \sin(\frac{\theta}{2})& \:\:\cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) \end{array}\!\right)\\
R_z(\theta) &= e^{-i\theta Z/2}=\cos(\frac{\theta}{2})I-i\sin(\frac{\theta}{2})Z=\left(\!\begin{array}{cc}e^{-i\theta/2} & 0\\ 0 & e^{-i\theta/2} \end{array}\!\right)\end{align*}.[/tex]

I understand that when considering the 2-d case, any complex number z can be rotated anti-clockwise by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the transformation [itex]z\mapsto ze^{i\theta}[/itex]. This has no factor of 1/2 so where does it come from in the rotation operators?

Physics news on Phys.org
With the current amount of information the best I can do is giving you a push in the right direction, as I perceive it.

First of, your result is potentially confusing since those matrices don't allow for 3 axes as I see it. Also how did you define the matrices? (forgive me my laziness)
Second, you want to get a little bit of feeling for generating groups from an algebra.
Third, as you are talking about the Bloch Sphere which is S^2 embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^3## you can see what happens.

I would really like to give some context as to how you defined stuff (and what you can conclude from those)

Do it like WannabeNewton, I always enjoy reading his/her threads because they have a great opening post. (First one I found, might not be very suitable for you but important is the amount of text used to describe the problem encountered)

You have the wrong [itex]R_z[/itex]. It should be:

[itex]R_z(\epsilon) = \left( \begin{array}\\ e^{-i \frac{\epsilon}{2}} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{+i \frac{\epsilon}{2}} \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Okay, well, the connection between these matrices and rotations is via spinors.

The 3-D vector [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] can be written in spherical coordinates as:
[itex]x = r sin(\theta) cos(\phi)[/itex]
[itex]y = r sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex]
[itex]z = r cos(\theta)[/itex]

We can combine these three real numbers into a 2-component complex spinor by letting:

[itex]\alpha = \sqrt{2r} cos(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{-i \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\beta= \sqrt{2r} sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) e^{+i \frac{\phi}{2}}[/itex]

Then the significance of those rotation matrices is this:

If [itex]\left( \begin{array}\\ \alpha \\ \beta \end{array} \right)[/itex] is the spinor representation of the vector [itex](x,y,z)[/itex], then
[itex]R_x(\epsilon) \left( \begin{array}\\ \alpha \\ \beta \end{array} \right)[/itex] is the spinor representation of the vector [itex](x',y',z')[/itex] resulting from rotating [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] by an angle [itex]\epsilon[/itex] about the x-axis. (and similarly for [itex]R_y[/itex] and [itex]R_z[/itex]).

jimmycricket said:
This has no factor of 1/2 so where does it come from in the rotation operators?

The division by 2 has to do with how axis-angle rotations get converted into quaternion rotations. Quaternions have the property that ##q## and ##-q## represent the same rotation, so to avoid ending up back where you started half-way through you need to cut the speed in half. 2x2 unitary matrices are isomorphic to unit quaternions (i.e. the ones used for rotation), plus a phase factor, and thus have the same quirk.

When working with unitary matrices you can get rid of the factor of 2, though. You just apply a phase correction. You end up with something like ##U(\hat{v}, \theta)=\frac{1}{2} I (1+e^{is \theta})−\frac{1}{2} s\hat{v}σ(1−e^{is \theta})##. The main issue is that you're forced to choose ##s = \pm 1##, and no matter how you pick it you're forced to introduce a discontinuity in the phase as the rotation axis is changed. Also it's not longer the case that you're just exponentiating ##e^{i \sigma \hat{v} \theta}##. On the other hand, you actually go from ##I## to ##X## and back, instead of ##iX##... so it's a mixed bag.

Last edited:

1. What is a rotation operator on the Bloch sphere?

A rotation operator on the Bloch sphere is a mathematical operation that describes how a qubit, represented by a point on the Bloch sphere, changes when subjected to a rotation around a specific axis.

2. How is a rotation operator represented?

A rotation operator on the Bloch sphere is typically represented by a 2x2 matrix, with each element corresponding to a different axis of rotation. It can also be represented using a unitary operator or as a combination of Pauli matrices.

3. What is the purpose of using rotation operators on the Bloch sphere?

The purpose of using rotation operators on the Bloch sphere is to manipulate the state of a qubit. By applying different rotation operators, the qubit can be rotated to different points on the sphere, which corresponds to different quantum states and enables quantum computing operations.

4. How do rotation operators affect the state of a qubit?

Rotation operators affect the state of a qubit by changing its position on the Bloch sphere. The qubit's state is described by the angle and axis of rotation, and applying a rotation operator will change these parameters, thus changing the qubit's state.

5. Are rotation operators reversible?

Yes, rotation operators on the Bloch sphere are reversible. This means that applying a rotation operator to a qubit, and then applying the inverse of that operator, will return the qubit to its original state. This reversibility is a crucial property in quantum computing, as it allows for information to be stored and manipulated without loss.