1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics Help Needed

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    I'm sure there is something ridiculously simple I'm missing here but this questions has been driving me crazy and now I'm sure I couldn't see the answer if it stared me right in the face.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A massless string is wrapped around a solid cylinder. A block of mass m=2.0kg hangs from the string. When released the block falls a distance of 82 cm in 2.0s. Starting with a freebody diagram calculate the mass of the cylinder.

*I can't use conservation of energy to solve this as the next question indicates that I am to solve the question again using conservation of mechanical energy.

2. Relevant equations
    y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2
    F=ma
    torsion = rF
    Net Torsion = Moment of Inertia x rotational acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution

r = ? **This is the part that has me stumped - all of the formulae I know need a radius.
    m = 2.0kg
    y = 0.82m
    t = 2.0s
    v0 = 0m/s
    mc = ?

Step One: Determine the force of inertia of the cylinder:

y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at2
    a=(2y)/(t2)
    a = (2 x 0.82m) / (2.0s2)
    a = 0.41 m/s2
    Fa = ma = 0.41m/s2 x 2.0kg = 0.82N
    Fg = mg = 9.81m/s2 x 2.0kg = 19.62N
    FI = Fg - Fa = 19.62N - 0.82N = 18.8N

This is as far as I can get before I start running into brick walls. I've played with several different formulae but I always run into a point where I need the radius of the cylinder (which I don't have). Am I missing something really obvious here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try solving it anyway, just leave the radius as "R" without plugging in a number for it. See what you can come up with that way.

p.s. Welcome to PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?