Rotational Dynamics/moment of inertia/frictional torque

  • Thread starter Thread starter xdevinx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
xdevinx
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The combination of an applied force and a constant frictional force produces a constant total torque of 36.8 N·m on a wheel rotating about a fixed axis. The applied force acts for 5.92 s. During this time the angular speed of the wheel increases from 0 to 10.2 rad/s. The applied force is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest in 59.5 s.

a)find the moment of inertia

b)find the magnitude of the frictional torque

Homework Equations



torque=(inertia) (angular acceleration)
angular acceleration=change in angular speed/change in time

The Attempt at a Solution



for (a) I know what I have to do but for some reason I can't figure it out. I set the torque (36.8 N m) equal to the product of the moment of inertia the angular acceleration. however, I'm just stuck on finding the angular acceleration. Do I use an equation for constant angular acceleration? (e.g. omega(final)=omega(initial) + (angular acceleration)(time)) or do I have to integrate it? If so, how?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They said constant total torque, so that means constant angular acceleration since the inertia doesn't change.
 
Use the relation between angular impulse and angular momentum.
 
Awesome. I figured out the moment of inertia for the wheel by using the constant angular acceleration formulas, as well as the number of revolutions for the wheel.
First, I used Omega(final)=Omega(initial)+Angular Acceleration*time
Then I was able to find the moment of inertia by plugging it into
Torque=I*Angular Acceleration.

To find how many times the wheel revolved I used Omega(final)^2 - Omega(initial)^2= 2*Angular Acceleration*Total amount angle rotated

But now I just don't know how to find the magnitude of the frictional torque. Help!
 
xdevinx said:
But now I just don't know how to find the magnitude of the frictional torque.

Yes you do :smile: …
xdevinx said:
… 10.2 rad/s. The applied force is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest in 59.5 s.