1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Dynamics (Rotating pulley)

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The descending pulley shown in the figure has a radius 20 cm and moment of inertia [tex]0.2 kg m^{2}[/tex]. The fixed pulley is light and the horizontal plane frictionless.
    Find the acceleration of the block if its mass is One kg.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1808/diagrammj2.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure whether the lower pulley will rotate or not but as the moment of inertia and the radius is given, I think it will. Please explain this:

Assuming the lower pulley rotates.
    Tension in the left segment =T
    And in the right segment =T' (since there must be friction present for the lower pulley to rotate)

T=a (a is acceleration of block)

Mg-(T+T')=Ma*0.5 (where M is the mass of the pulley - which is unknown, how will I take this out????)

The acceleration of the pulley will be half the acceleration of the block, isnt it?

Torque=I*angular acceleration
    0.2(T'-T)=0.2(a/2R) (R=0.2 m given)

The answer given in my book is 10 m/s2 but I am not sure how to get the mass of the pulley??? Where exactly am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    you should be able to get the mass from the given moment of inertia --- sometimes also known as the "angular mass" or "mass moment of inertia."

Edited to add: Hint: what shape is the pulley?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    It hasnt been provided in th question- the shape of the pulley- Can it be assume to be a disk!

Also I need assistance on this equation of mine!
    Do u agree that the 2* acceleration of pulley = acceleration of block(a)

Then while using a=r*[tex]\alpha[/tex]
    what shall I put a?? acceleration of pulley or of block???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?