Mass and pulley system (Rotational Dynamics)

In summary, the block hanging from the pulley has a torque of 73.5 N * m, and the pulley is rotating at 1.10 m/s^2.
ikihi

Homework Statement

Consider a pulley with a mass-less cord attached to its edge. The rope hangs a distance of d= 2.50 m below the bottom of the pulley. Attached to the end of this cord is a block with mass 3.00 kg. There is also an electric motor attached to the pulley which supplies a torque of 28.7 N * m. The pulley can be considered a disk with a radius of 0.65 m.

a) What is the torque due to the hanging block?
b) what is the moment of inertia of the pulley?
c) Once the motor is turned on the pulley begins to rotate counter clock-wise. What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the pulley?

Homework Equations

I = 0.5 * m * r^2 (moment of inertia)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Torque= m*g*d ---> Torque = 3.00 * 9.80 * 2.50 = 73.5 N * m

b) I'm stuck on how to find the moment of inertia here because no mass was given for the pulley itself.

Attachments

• pulley.PNG
    pulley.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like there's some information missing. Is this the problem, word for word? Is it from a textbook?

Doc Al said:
Is this the problem, word for word? Is it from a textbook?

yes that is the problem

More info is needed to solve the problem, even for part a. The torque on the pulley due to the hanging block depends on the tension in the cord, which cannot be solved for without additional information.

Okay i asked, the info was missing. The mass of the pulley is 1.3 kg.

Okay so the moment of inertia is 0.4225 kg * m.
The angular acceleration, that I calculated, is 1.10 m/s^2

Last edited:
ikihi said:
I think you forgot to square the radius when you calculated the moment of inertia -- check your units.

When you redo your calculation of the angular acceleration, show how you did it. (Check your units there also.)

ikihi said:
That has the wrong units for angular acceleration.
Please post all your working.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzRa737UkAAqYIj.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
ikihi said:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzRa737UkAAqYIj.jpg:large

That looks lke the right answer.
But in future, please do not post working as an image. Take the trouble to type it in. That guarantees legibility and makes it possible to comment on individual lines, e.g. to point out an error. Images are really for book extracts and diagrams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

What is a mass and pulley system?

A mass and pulley system is a mechanical system consisting of a mass suspended by a rope or a cable that is wrapped around a pulley. The pulley is a wheel with a groove that allows the rope to move freely and change directions while supporting the weight of the mass.

How does a mass and pulley system work?

In a mass and pulley system, the mass is attached to one end of the rope and the other end is attached to a fixed point. When the mass is pulled, it causes the rope to wrap around the pulley, which in turn creates a force that lifts the mass upwards. This system works based on the principles of rotational dynamics.

What is the purpose of using a mass and pulley system?

A mass and pulley system is used to lift or move heavy objects with less effort. It is also used to change the direction of a force, such as in the case of a flagpole where the pulley system allows the flag to be raised or lowered.

How does the mass affect the pulley system?

The mass of the object affects the pulley system by increasing the force needed to lift or move it. The heavier the mass, the more tension is created in the rope, and this increases the friction between the rope and the pulley. This can make the system less efficient, and may require more force to overcome the friction.

What are the different types of mass and pulley systems?

There are three types of mass and pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. In a fixed pulley, the pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. In a movable pulley, the pulley is attached to the object being lifted, and both the direction and the magnitude of the force are changed. A compound pulley has multiple pulleys and is used to lift very heavy objects with less force.