Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Energy and Degeneracy

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
    I have a question regarding the rotational energy equation, derived based on the rigid rotor assumption:

##\epsilon = k\theta_r J (J+1)##
    where k = boltzmann constant, and J is the rotational quantum number.

The degeneracy is 2J+1.

Let's assume the constant quantity ##k\theta_r## = 1 and that the energy level is 2Joules.
    Thus 2 = J(J+1) => J = +/- 1. The only physical solution is J = 1.
    Thus degeneracy is 3 for J = 1.

Here is where I am confused. I thought degeneracy is when you have an energy level that DOES NOT consist of a unique set of quantum numbers. So if the degeneracy is 3, doesn't that mean I should have 3 different J values that can give me an energy level of 2 Joules?
    I think I am understanding this incorrectly, because for 2 joules, the only solution is J = 1. Doesn't that mean the degenearcy is 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There are three different and linearly independent solutions to the Schrodinger equation with ##J=1##. That's where the three-fold degeneracy comes from.

Google for "spherical harmonics" to see how this can be; the three solutions are multiples of the three functions ##Y^1_m## with ##m## equal to -1, 0, or 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook