1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Energy and Linear Momentum Problem

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure here, a small, solid, uniform ball is to be shot from point P so that it rolls smoothly along a horizontal path, up along a ramp, and onto a plateau. Then it leaves the plateau horizontally to land on a game board, at a horizontal distance d from the right edge of the plateau. The vertical heights are h1 = 4.5 cm and h2 = 1.00 cm. With what speed must the ball be shot at point P for it to land at d = 3.5 cm?

fLI4qPI.jpg

2. Relevant equations

E'=E
    Translational KE = mv^2/2
    Rotational KE = Iω^2/2
    y = y0 + v0T + aT^2/2

3. The attempt at a solution

(0.5)mv0^2 = (0.5)mv'^2 + mgh1
    Which simplifies to v0 = sqrt(2gh1 + v'^2) (1)

To find v': d = v'T => v' = d/T
    To find T: h2 = (0.5)gT^2 => T = sqrt(2h2/2)

So, v' = d/sqrt(2h2/2) which is approximately 0.77 m/s.

Plugging this into (1) v0 = 1.217 m/s.

However, this is not the right answer.

So, I then attempted it again this time taking into account that the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is (2/5)mR^2.

(0.5)(2/5)(mR^2)ω0^2 = (0.5)(2/5)(mR^2)ω'^2 + mgh1

v = rω
    (1/5)(mR^2)v0^2/R^2 = (1/5)(mR^2)v'^2/R^2 + mgh1
    v0^2 = v'^2 + 5gh1
    v0 = sqrt(v'^2 + 5gh1)

Then v' is the same in this attempt as the previous, so v0 = 1.67 m/s.
    However, this is also not the right answer.

It appears there is not enough information to take into account energy lost to friction so I'm assuming that's negligible. So, I'm at a loss.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2
    You also have to take into account the linear energy at P.
    [tex]K_P=\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 + \frac{1}{2}I\omega_i^2 [/tex]
    Also at the top, consider the energies for gravity, movement, and rotation.
    [tex]mgh_1+\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega_2^2[/tex]
    When the ball then falls, It must have a final energy greater than [itex]mgh_2[/itex] (so it could be rolling along and make it a distance d away, not just survive the fall.) You have already shown that you know I for a sphere to be [itex]\frac{2}{5}mr^2[/itex], and [itex]\omega[/itex] can be calculated as [itex]v/r[/itex].
    When you put the equations together you will be able to calculate the correct answer.

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3
    Oh shoot, that's obvious. I don't know why when I remembered to take into account rotational kinetic energy I dropped off translational kinetic energy.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted