Rotational Energy, Moment of Inertia Problem

In summary, the Crab Nebula releases energy at a rate of 5×10^31W, which is 105 times the rate of the sun. This energy is sourced from the rotational kinetic energy of the neutron star at its center, which spins rapidly at a period of 0.0331 s. This period increases by 4.22×10^-13 s for each second that passes. If the rate of energy loss is equal to the rate of energy release, the moment of inertia of the neutron star can be calculated using the equations KE = Iw^2 and P = dE/dt. However, the derivative of K(t) must take into account the changing period T(t), resulting in a final answer of
chongkuan123

Homework Statement

Energy is released by the Crab Nebula at a rate of about 5×10^31W, about 105 times the rate at which the sun radiates energy. The Crab Nebula obtains its energy from the rotational kinetic energy of a rapidly spinning neutron star at its center. This object rotates once every 0.0331 s, and this period is increasing by 4.22×10^−13s for each second of time that elapses.

a) If the rate at which energy is lost by the neutron star is equal to the rate at which energy is released by the nebula, find the moment of inertia of the neutron star.

Homework Equations

KE = Iw^2 , w = 2pi/ T , P = dE/dT

The Attempt at a Solution

KE = Iw^2 , w = 2pi/ T , so KE = 1/2 I 4 pi^2 T^-2
take the derivative of that i get P = -4 I pi^2 T^-3
set it equal to -5×10^31
solve for I and i got 4.59*10^25 which is wrong :(
help please, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, as far as I know, power is dE/dt, not dE/dT. The period T is itself a function of time in this problem, T(t), so when you take the derivative of K(t), you must use the chain rule (the derivative in your answer attempt is missing the required extra factor of T'(t)).

I actually solved a quite similar problem last semester in my astrophysics course, maybe that will help you:

My problem was like this: given that ##\tau = 33## ms and ##\Delta \tau = 1.3 \cdot 10^{-5} s/year##, and given the mass ##M = 1.44 M_{sun}## and the radius ##R = 12 km##, we calculate

$$
E_{rot} = \frac{1}{2} I_{sphere} \omega^2 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{2}{5} M R^2 \omega^2 = \frac{1}{5} M R^2 \frac{4 \pi^2}{\tau^2}, \quad using \quad \omega = 2\pi f = 2 \pi \frac{1}{\tau}
$$
$$
E_{rot} = 2.9888 \cdot 10^{42} J
$$
$$
\Rightarrow \frac{\Delta E_{rot}}{s} = \frac{4}{5} M R^2 \pi^2 \left( \frac{1}{\tau_1} - \frac{1}{\tau_2} \right), \quad where \quad \tau_2 = \tau + \Delta \tau = \tau_1 + \Delta \tau
$$
Now we use that ##E_{rot}## must be equal to ##E_{pot}## (I think that was Virial's theorem)
$$
E_{rot}=\frac{\omega^2}{2} \frac{2}{5} M R^2 \overset{!}{=} \frac{M^2 G}{R} \frac{3}{5} = E_{pot}
$$
$$
\rightarrow \omega_{max} = \sqrt{\frac{3 M G}{R^3}} \approx 15180 s^{-1}
$$

slider142 said:
Hmm, as far as I know, power is dE/dt, not dE/dT. The period T is itself a function of time in this problem, T(t), so when you take the derivative of K(t), you must use the chain rule (the derivative in your answer attempt is missing the required extra factor of T'(t)).

So T'(t) is the increasing period 4.22×10^−13s?

chongkuan123 said:
So T'(t) is the increasing period 4.22×10^−13s?

Right. :) I assume the problem intends T(0) = 0.0331 s and T'(0) = 4.22x10^-13.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
Right. :) I assume the problem intends T(0) = 0.0331 s and T'(0) = 4.22x10^-13 s.
... except that T' is dimensionless.

haruspex said:
... except that T' is dimensionless.

Good point, that!

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation around an axis. It is a form of kinetic energy that is expressed as the product of the moment of inertia and the square of the angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in an object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = ∑mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational energy?

The moment of inertia and rotational energy are directly proportional. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, so does the rotational energy. This can be seen in the formula for rotational energy, which includes the moment of inertia as a factor.

4. What factors affect rotational energy and moment of inertia?

The mass and distribution of mass in an object, as well as the shape and axis of rotation, affect both the rotational energy and moment of inertia. Objects with more mass and a larger moment of inertia require more energy to rotate at the same speed.

5. How is rotational energy and moment of inertia used in real-life applications?

Rotational energy and moment of inertia are important concepts in understanding the behavior of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. They are also used in designing machines and structures that involve rotation, such as turbines and bridges. In addition, moment of inertia is used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes in sports that involve rotation, such as figure skating and diving.