Finding the moment of inertia of a neutron star

In summary, the moment of inertia of a neutron star can be calculated using the pulsar timing method, which measures the precise timing of radio pulses emitted by the star. This method provides insight into the star's internal structure and can help determine its mass and radius. Other methods, such as observations of gravitational waves and X-ray emissions, can also contribute to calculating the moment of inertia of a neutron star. Overall, understanding the moment of inertia of neutron stars is crucial for studying the physics of extreme environments and expanding our knowledge of the universe.
lazy scholar

Homework Statement

The Crab Nebula is a cloud of glowing gas about 10 light-years across, located about 6500 light years from the Earth (the figure (Figure 1) ). It is the remnant of a star that underwent a supernova explosion, seen on Earth in 1054 a.d. Energy is released by the Crab Nebula at a rate of about 5×10^31W, about 105 times the rate at which the sun radiates energy. The Crab Nebula obtains its energy from the rotational kinetic energy of a rapidly spinning neutron star at its center. This object rotates once every 0.0331 s, and this period is increasing by 4.22×10^−13s for each second of time that elapses.

1)If the rate at which energy is lost by the neutron star is equal to the rate at which energy is released by the nebula, find the moment of inertia of the neutron star.

2)Theories of supernovae predict that the neutron star in the Crab Nebula has a mass about 1.4 times that of the sun. Modeling the neutron star as a solid uniform sphere, calculate its radius in kilometers.

3)Assume that the neutron star is uniform and calculate its density.

Homework Equations

as far as relevant equations go i would imagine you need τ=Iω, K=1/2Iω2for part 1)... as for 2) and 3) I am not entirely sure. keep in mind I is moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've tried using the kinetic energy formula to find I...i.e. (assuming energy emitted by the nebula is equal to energy loss by the neutron star): 5x10^31=1/2Iω2. i found ω by 2π/T=2π/0.0331=189.8 rad/s.
then, 1x10^32=I*(189.8)^2. isolating for I, i got I=2.78x10^27...which is wrong apparently.

as for parts 2) and 3), i can't really being until i have part 1)...

Physics news on Phys.org
lazy scholar said:
so far I've tried using the kinetic energy formula to find I...i.e. (assuming energy emitted by the nebula is equal to energy loss by the neutron star): 5x10^31=1/2Iω2.
Be careful here. What is on the left side? In particular, what units do you have there? What is on the right side?
Can it make sense to set them equal?

Another hint that you did something wrong: you did not use the increasing period at all.

1x10^32=I*(189.8)^2
What is that?

The formula ##KE_r = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2## is for the total rotational kinetic energy of the rotating body. As such it will have units of Joules. Your radiated energy figure is a rate, energy per unit time, or units of Watts.

So, you'll have to do a little calculus to relate quantities. I'd start with the expression for the angular frequency given the period and head towards finding the angular acceleration. It will help if you identify the given information with their differential forms. For example, the rate of change of the rotation period with respect to time is just dT/dt...

EDIT: Oops. mfb beat me to it!

1. What is the moment of inertia of a neutron star?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that is determined by the mass distribution and shape of the star.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a neutron star calculated?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star can be calculated using the formula I = 2/5 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the star and R is its radius. However, due to the extremely high density and complex structure of neutron stars, more complex equations and simulations are often used to obtain more accurate values.

3. Why is the moment of inertia of a neutron star important to study?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is important because it provides valuable information about its internal structure and composition. This can help us better understand the physics of these dense objects and their behavior, such as their rotation and magnetic fields.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a neutron star compare to other celestial objects?

The moment of inertia of a neutron star is significantly smaller than that of a regular star or planet, due to its high density and compact size. It is also typically larger than that of a white dwarf but smaller than that of a black hole.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a neutron star change over time?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a neutron star can change over time due to different factors such as accretion of matter, changes in rotation rate, and mergers with other objects. However, these changes are relatively small and difficult to measure.