Rotational inertial and energy.

In summary: Quite frankly, it's hard to tell exactly what he did. It's also not clear that the snap shot of his calculations shows his latest work, either.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

The figure shows a rigid assembly of a thin hoop (of mass m = 0.25 kg and radius R = 0.13 m) and a thin radial rod (of length L = 2R and also of mass m = 0.25 kg). The assembly is upright, but we nudge it so that it rotates around a horizontal axis in the plane of the rod and hoop, through the lower end of the rod. Assuming that the energy given to the assembly in the nudge is negligible, what is the assembly's angular speed about the rotation axis when it passes through the upside-down (inverted) orientation?

20150711_132856_zps1308qqzx.jpg

Homework Equations

ΔU=mgΔy
I=1/3 ML2 (rod)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

20150711_131646_zpsz8dzw4jp.jpg

Im having trouble finding the rotational inertial of the rod and the hoop.
for the rod I am using 1/3 ML2 because its I of the rod rotating about its end.
for the hoop i tried using its com and applying that to the formula I=MR2, where M=.25kg and R=.39m
Thanks
edit. complete[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to relate rotational inertia to angular velocity use the kinetic energy-work formula. ΔK=½ Iωf2 - ½ Iωi2.
where ΔK = change in gravitational potential engery, because there is no other forces acting on the system.
I=the sum of the rod and hoop, and the hoop you need to use the parallel axis theorm
ωi=0

J-dizzal said:
to relate rotational inertia to angular velocity use the kinetic energy-work formula. ΔK=½ Iωf2 - ½ Iωi2.
where ΔK = change in gravitational potential engery, because there is no other forces acting on the system.
I=the sum of the rod and hoop, and the hoop you need to use the parallel axis theorm
ωi=0
The rod and hoop are rotating about the end of the rod opposite of the hoop, so don't worry too much about calculating the MOI about the c.g.of the combo.

Be careful about which formula you use to calculate the MOI of the hoop about its c.g. If you are using a table of formulas, inspect very carefully which formula goes with which axis of rotation. There's two different formulas for the MOI of a hoop.

The image of your calculations looks like you spilled something all over the paper. Try to show a little pride in your work. This stained paper suggests to your instructor that you are trying not to spend a lot of time on your work.

SteamKing said:
The rod and hoop are rotating about the end of the rod opposite of the hoop, so don't worry too much about calculating the MOI about the c.g.of the combo.

Be careful about which formula you use to calculate the MOI of the hoop about its c.g. If you are using a table of formulas, inspect very carefully which formula goes with which axis of rotation. There's two different formulas for the MOI of a hoop.

The image of your calculations looks like you spilled something all over the paper. Try to show a little pride in your work. This stained paper suggests to your instructor that you are trying not to spend a lot of time on your work.
My instructor will not see this, I just have to enter the correct answer into online homework website.

J-dizzal said:
My instructor will not see this, I just have to enter the correct answer into online homework website.
So far it doesn't look like you're getting the correct answer, are you ?

By the way: What's the purpose of having you do homework?

SammyS said:
So far it doesn't look like you're getting the correct answer, are you ?

By the way: What's the purpose of having you do homework?
Yes, i have completed this problem. in post#2 I tried to explain how i found the answer.
The purpose of doing homework is to learn by practice. And its worth points toward my grade.

SteamKing said:
don't worry too much about calculating the MOI about the c.g.of the combo.
I don't think J-dizzal did that.

haruspex said:
I don't think J-dizzal did that.
Quite frankly, it's hard to tell exactly what he did. It's also not clear that the snap shot of his calculations shows his latest work, either.

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and how this mass is distributed relative to the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In other words, an object with a larger mass will have a larger rotational inertia, but two objects with the same mass can have different rotational inertias depending on how their mass is distributed.

3. What is the relationship between rotational inertia and energy?

Rotational inertia affects the amount of energy required to accelerate an object in rotational motion. The larger the rotational inertia, the more energy is needed to change the object's rotational speed. Additionally, rotational energy, or the energy an object has due to its rotational motion, is directly proportional to its rotational inertia.

4. How does rotational inertia impact the stability of an object?

Objects with high rotational inertia tend to be more stable because they are less likely to change their rotational motion. This is why spinning tops and gyroscopes can maintain their orientation even when external forces are applied. On the other hand, objects with low rotational inertia are more prone to changes in rotational motion and can be less stable.

5. How is rotational inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia, or rotational inertia, can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The exact formula depends on the shape of the object and its axis of rotation, but it is generally expressed as I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.