Rotational Kinematics? Revolutions of a propeller?

In summary, the airplane engine starts from rest and after 2 seconds, it is rotating with an angular speed of 420 rev/min. Using the equation for angular displacement, the number of revolutions made by the propeller during this time can be calculated by converting the angular velocity to radians per second, finding the angular acceleration, and then substituting the values into the equation. The propeller undergoes 7 revolutions in 2 seconds.
JHCreighton

Homework Statement

An airplane engine starts from rest; and 2 seconds later, it is rotating with an angular speed of 420 rev/min. If the angular acceleration is constant, how many reovlutions does the propeller undergo during this time?

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] 0 t +1/2 [tex]\alpha[/tex] t^2

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex] [tex]\omega[/tex] / [tex]\Delta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if by converting rev/s to rad/s I could use the angular acceleration to somehow find the number of revolutions made in 2 seconds. But I'm not sure if this requires converting, or even if I am on the right track with the angular acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. to do your calculations, you do require converting from rev/m to rad/s
2. what equation relates angular velocity to angular acceleration and time?

1) So, 420 rev/s would be 840(pi). (I can't find the Pi character) because 1 rev=2(pi) rad. Correct?

2) The equation should be [tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] 0 + [tex]\alpha[/tex] t

JHCreighton said:
1) So, 420 rev/s would be 840(pi). (I can't find the Pi character) because 1 rev=2(pi) rad. Correct?

Your question says 420 rev/m (revolutions per minute), not 420rev/s.
you first need to convert 420 rev/m to rev/s

2) The equation should be [tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] 0 + [tex]\alpha[/tex] t
correct,
you are given enough information to calculate angular acceleration.

now, you can use your angular displacement equation to calculate the number of radians rotated in 2 seconds.

you can then convert radians to revolutions.

OK, so let's see. 420 rev/MIN is 7 rev/s, which is 44 rad/s. Rearranging the kinematic equation to be [tex]\alpha[/tex] = vf /t and substituting, I get the angular acceleration to be 22 rad/s^2. Then, if the initial velocity is 0 rad/s, the final velocity is again 44 rad/s. This converted to rev/s is 44/2(pi), which equals 7 revolutions. I think I took the long way around to get here, but does this seem like the correct process? Or at least it lead to the correct answer?

after you find your angular acceleration, (22rad/s^2). You need to find your angular displacement. (Remember, angular displacement is the number of radians the propeller turns)

so no, 7 revolutions is not the correct answer.

Jeez, this problem has just worked me over, and for no good reason. OK, simply substituting everything into the angular displacement equation, then converting back to revolutions, I get 14 rev. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help, especially since you took the time to go step by step with me, without just tossing out everything I needed at once.
My sincerest thanks,
JHCreighton

sorry, 7 revolutions was the correct answer. I didn't do the math, I just looked at what you were saying.. But if you do the math
--
wf^2 = wi^2 + 2⍺θ
rearrange for θ

OR

θf = θi + Wit + ½⍺t^2
rearrange for θ
--

θ turns out to be 44radians = 7 revolutions =p

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that rotate or spin around a fixed axis. It deals with concepts such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and rotational motion equations.

2. What is meant by revolutions of a propeller?

Revolutions of a propeller refer to the number of times a propeller completes a full rotation around its axis. It is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) and is an important parameter in determining the efficiency and performance of a propeller.

3. How is angular velocity related to revolutions per minute?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, and it is directly related to revolutions per minute. The higher the angular velocity, the more revolutions a propeller will make in a given time period.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity measures how fast an object is moving in a straight line.

5. How does rotational kinematics apply to real-world situations?

Rotational kinematics has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. It is also used in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. Additionally, rotational kinematics is important in understanding the behavior of fluids, as seen in the rotation of hurricanes and tornadoes.