1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic energy in a loop

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    The marble rolls down a track and around a loop-the-loop of radius R. The marble has mass m and radius r (see picture). What minimum height h must the track have for the marble to make it around the loop-the-loop without falling off?

This is driving me nuts. I know that the total mechanical energy at the top of the track (starting point) is mgh, and at the top of the loop, it is mgR + 1/2mv^2 + 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex], so mgh = mgR + 1/2mv^2 + 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]. I then substituted 2/5mr^2 for I (general I of a sphere), and v/r for [tex]\omega[/tex]. Leaving that for a moment, I found that the sum of forces at the top of the loop are F = ma_c = m*(v^2/r) = mg - n. Since I'm trying to find the point where n=0, I substituted 0 for n, and solved for g = v^2/r. Then I substituted v^2/r for g in my earlier equation that I obtained for total mechanical energy. Simplifying everything gave me h = R + 0.7r, which is incorrect. I would really like to know where my error lies. The answer must include the variables r and R. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Should be omega^2.

Should be R here, not r.
  4. Jan 29, 2008 #3
    Everything is done properly except those mistakes which Shooting mentioned.

And by the way,is this a sum from HC Verma?
  5. Jan 29, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help, Shooting star. I was able to solve the problem. And, sorry FedEx, I have no idea what you're talking about.
  6. Jan 29, 2008 #5
    I was just asking whether the problem was from a book named Concepts Of Physics by HC Verma.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?