1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinetic Energy of Cl2?

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a crude model of a rotating diatomic molecule of chlorine (Cl2), the two Cl atoms are 2.00 10^-10 m apart and rotate about their center of mass with angular speed ω = 3.80 10^12 rad/s. What is the rotational kinetic energy of one molecule of Cl2, which has a molar mass of 70.0 g/mol?

2. Relevant equations

1/2 * m * v2 (Kinetic Energy)

v/2 * KB * T (Internal Energy of a molecule)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use the equation for kinetic energy, substituting r * ω for v, but my web assign says that this is wrong. Nothing like this was taught in class and the book does not say much, so I'm at a loss for where to go.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rotational energy of a rigid body (like the Cl2 molecule) is Erot=1/2 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular speed of rotation.

The Cl2 molecule can be considered as two point masses d distance apart, rotating around a bisector of the connecting line. So the moment of inertia is 1/2 md^2.

There are two mutually perpendicular axis of rotation so the molecule has got two rotational degrees of freedom.

ehild

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    So basically: 1/4 * 1 mol /(6.022 * 1023) * (70 * 10-3) kg/mol * (780 m/s)2 = 1.768 * 10-20 J , right? But Web Assign keeps telling me that's wrong, so where am I making the mistake?

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Explain your calculation. What is that 780 m/s?

ehild

6. Sep 11, 2012 #5
    Nevermind, I figured it out. It's m (d/2)^2, not 1/2 * md^2

7. Sep 12, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well done!

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook