Rotational / Linear kinematic problem

In summary, the problem involves a 1kg block suspended from a rope that wraps around a pulley, which is pulled by a 10N force. The pulley has a mass of 50g and a diameter of 4cm. The goal is to calculate the acceleration of the block using the equations given. The first step is to draw a free body diagram and make equations based on the sum of torques and forces. The solution involves solving for angular acceleration and then using it to calculate the acceleration of the block, which is found to be 8 m/s^2.
greenskyy

Homework Statement

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2702/drawing1.png

A 1kg block is suspended from a rope that wraps around a pulley where it is pulled by a 10N force. The pulley is a disk with mass 50g and has a diameter of 4cm. Assume enough friction that the rope does not slip but neglect friction in the bearing.

Homework Equations

This is actually one of the questions. I am figuring the three equations would be:

[tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]F_{net}=10N - m_{b}g[/tex]

[tex]a=\alphar[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculate the acceleration of the block using your equations above.

Well, I tried to start with the torque equation, which became:

[tex]\frac{m_{p}r^{2}a}{2r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m_{p}Fr}{2m}[/tex]

Although, I have no idea what the "m" is, which came about through a=f/m . I am completely stumped at this point and making no progress. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Draw a free body diagram for the pulley that shows the torques on it, and the block with the forces on it. The torques will be dependent on the force and the radius at which the force is applied. There will be two torques on the pulley.

2) Chose a direction to be positive and make equations out of your free-body diagram (including the some of the torques for the pulley and the sum of the forces for the block). You basically need to figure out the angular acceleration of the pulley (via sum of the torques) to see how fast it pulls the block up. Because it has mass, it will resist accelerations through it's moment of inertia, I.

I had already drawn the FBD's. They really didn't help, as my issue was a result of something else.

In my algebraic substitutions, I tried to get rid of angular acceleration as quickly as possible, when in reality that's what I should have solved for. Solving for [tex]\alpha[/tex] first is much much easier.

Here is what I have

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} = \frac{10r - m_{b}gr}{.5m_{p}r^{2}} = \frac{10-m_{b}g}{.5m_{p}r} = 400 \frac{rad}{s^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]a = alpha * r = 8 \frac{m}{s^{2}}[/tex]

This seems a little too quick of acceleration though... is this correct?

1. What is rotational/linear kinematics?

Rotational/linear kinematics is the study of the motion of objects in a circular or linear path. It involves analyzing the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in these types of motion.

2. What is the difference between rotational and linear kinematics?

The main difference between rotational and linear kinematics is the type of path that an object follows. In rotational kinematics, the object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, while in linear kinematics, the object moves in a straight line.

3. What are some examples of rotational/linear kinematic problems?

Some examples of rotational/linear kinematic problems include calculating the speed of a rotating Ferris wheel, determining the acceleration of a car moving down a straight road, and finding the displacement of a ball rolling down an incline.

4. How do you solve rotational/linear kinematic problems?

To solve rotational/linear kinematic problems, you need to use equations that relate displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations, such as the kinematic equations, can be used to find the unknown variable given the other two variables and any relevant information about the motion.

5. What are some factors that can affect rotational/linear kinematic problems?

Some factors that can affect rotational/linear kinematic problems include the mass, shape, and size of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance. These factors may change the acceleration or velocity of the object, leading to different solutions for the problem.