1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion of a pendulum

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pendulum is made of a bob dangling from a lightweight string of length ℓ. The bob is pulled sideways so that the string makes an angle θi with respect to the vertical, then released.

As it swings down, what is the rotational speed of the bob as a function of the changing angle θ? Use the notation l for the length of the string ℓ.
    Express your answer in terms of the the variables m, l, θ, θi, and acceleration due to gravity g.

2. Relevant equations
    h = l(cosθ - cosθi)
    v=(2gh)^1/2
    w = v/l
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I got w = ((2ghl(cosθ - cosθi))^(1/2))/l , but that was not correct. Are my equations wrong? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How come there is still an h in there?

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3
    oh sorry ignore that. I entered it without it

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then your answer looks ok to me. Do you know what the official answer is? Or do you enter it into a software package that simply says yes or no? If the second, maybe you need to simplify it a bit by cancellation, leaving l in the denominator only.

6. Jul 27, 2016 #5
    I enter it on the computer. It gave me the hint "The correct answer involves the variable \texttip{\theta _}{theta_}, which was not part of your answer.", but I guess my computer isn't able to read that portion of the tip ? Not sure, but thank you

7. Jul 27, 2016 #6
    How would you simplify it further since for the numerator the square root needs to be taken ?

8. Jul 27, 2016 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like it needs you to enter it as cos(θ) etc., not cosθ. Or maybe you did.
    √x/x=1/√x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted