Rotational motion of a spinning disk

In summary, the problem asks to find the angle through which a spinning disk, initially rotating at 30 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction, has turned after 3 seconds. The disk is slowing down at a rate of 6 rad/s^2. Using the formula θ = θi + ωi*t + (1/2)αt^2, the correct answer is 63 radians, 3610.0000 degrees, and 10.0300 revolutions. The mistake made was not accounting for the 1/2 factor in the αt^2 term.
november1992

Homework Statement

A spinning disk is rotating at a rate of 30 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. The disk is slowing down at a rate of 6 rad/s2. Find the angle through which the disk has turned after 3 s in radians, degrees, and revolutions.

Homework Equations

θ=θi + ωi*t + αt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So when i plugged the variables into the equation I got 36.

θ = 0 + 90 - 54 = 36

I thought the units were in radians so that's what I entered for the radians part and I also got 2062 degrees, and 5.71 revolutions. But I got the question wrong.

The answer was:

Angle through which wheel has turned (in radians) = 63 radians
(in degrees) = 3610.0000 degrees
(in revolutions) = 10.0300 revolutions

I don't understand what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
november1992 said:

Homework Statement

A spinning disk is rotating at a rate of 30 rad/s in the counterclockwise direction. The disk is slowing down at a rate of 6 rad/s2. Find the angle through which the disk has turned after 3 s in radians, degrees, and revolutions.

Homework Equations

θ=θi + ωi*t + αt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So when i plugged the variables into the equation I got 36.

θ = 0 + 90 - 54 = 36

I thought the units were in radians so that's what I entered for the radians part and I also got 2062 degrees, and 5.71 revolutions. But I got the question wrong.

The answer was:

Angle through which wheel has turned (in radians) = 63 radians
(in degrees) = 3610.0000 degrees
(in revolutions) = 10.0300 revolutions

I don't understand what I did wrong.

I see the question as:

Initial ω = 30,
Final ω = 12 [loses 6 each second for 3 seconds]
Average ω = (30 + 12)/2 = 21

21 for 3 seconds gives 63 radians.

I think there should have been a 1/2 factor in the "αt^2" term of your formula !

[Note: I left the rad/s unit out throughout for clarity]

aw man. I can't believe i missed that :/
thanks for the help.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. In the case of a spinning disk, the disk is rotating around its central axis.

2. What causes a spinning disk to rotate?

A spinning disk rotates due to the conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total amount of angular momentum in a closed system remains constant, so when a force is applied to the disk, it causes it to rotate.

3. How does the speed of rotation affect the motion of a spinning disk?

The speed of rotation, also known as angular velocity, determines the rate at which the disk rotates. The faster the disk rotates, the greater the centrifugal force and the more difficult it is to change its direction of motion.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object rotating around an axis. In the case of a spinning disk, both linear and angular velocity are present - the linear velocity of the outer edge of the disk is equal to the angular velocity of the entire disk.

5. How does the mass and distribution of mass affect the rotational motion of a spinning disk?

The mass and distribution of mass in a spinning disk affect its rotational motion by changing its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of an object. A disk with more mass and mass distributed farther from its axis of rotation will have a greater moment of inertia and will be more difficult to rotate compared to a disk with less mass and mass distributed closer to its axis of rotation.