Rotational motion- potential and kinetic energy

In summary: So, you can just set the initial and final energies equal to each other and solve for the final velocity.In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy to find the linear velocity of a sphere as it leaves a cliff. The relevant equations and calculations are presented, and it is determined that no accounting for friction is necessary since the sphere is rolling without slipping. The final velocity can be found by setting the initial and final energies equal to each other.
oxymoron man

http://i.imgur.com/0RtN9Ui.png?1

I am trying to find the linear velocity of the sphere as it leaves the cliff.

2. Homework Equations :
Moment of inertia of a sphere: I= 2/5 mr2

3. My attempt at a solution:

I know that I am supposed to solve this through the conservation of energy, but would I not have to account for friction somehow since it is rolling without slipping? I know how to find the kinetic and potential energies at both points but the solutions manual (i know, i know, i cheated) says nothing about accounting for the non-conservative force of friction that is necessary for rolling without slipping.
Either way, without friction I have

U-initial: 0
K-initial= 1/2 mv^2+(1/2)*(2/5*m*r^2)*v^2/r^2
k-initial= 1/2 mv^2+1/5 mv^2
k-initial: 7/10 mv^2

and for
U-final: mgh
K-final: 7/10 mvfinal^2

Could i just set these equal to each other and get the answer? No friction needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
oxymoron man said:
http://i.imgur.com/0RtN9Ui.png?1

I am trying to find the linear velocity of the sphere as it leaves the cliff.

2. Homework Equations :
Moment of inertia of a sphere: I= 2/5 mr2

3. My attempt at a solution:

I know that I am supposed to solve this through the conservation of energy, but would I not have to account for friction somehow since it is rolling without slipping? I know how to find the kinetic and potential energies at both points but the solutions manual (i know, i know, i cheated) says nothing about accounting for the non-conservative force of friction that is necessary for rolling without slipping.
Either way, without friction I have

U-initial: 0
K-initial= 1/2 mv^2+(1/2)*(2/5*m*r^2)*v^2/r^2
k-initial= 1/2 mv^2+1/5 mv^2
k-initial: 7/10 mv^2

and for
U-final: mgh
K-final: 7/10 mvfinal^2

Could i just set these equal to each other and get the answer? No friction needed?
You're doing fine. Since the sphere is rolling without slipping, only static friction is involved. Static friction does no work because there's no relative motion. You start with some initial KE and lose some to gravitational PE as you've stated. No energy is lost due to friction.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion can be seen in objects such as a spinning top or a rotating wheel.

2. What is potential energy in rotational motion?

Potential energy in rotational motion is the energy an object possesses due to its position or orientation relative to a reference point. This type of energy is stored and can be converted into kinetic energy as the object rotates.

3. How is kinetic energy related to rotational motion?

Kinetic energy in rotational motion is the energy an object possesses due to its motion or velocity. As the object rotates, it gains kinetic energy which is dependent on its mass, speed, and distance from the axis of rotation.

4. What factors affect the potential and kinetic energy of an object in rotational motion?

The potential and kinetic energy of an object in rotational motion are affected by factors such as the object's mass, speed, and distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, the shape and density of the object can also play a role in determining its energy.

5. How can rotational motion be used in real-world applications?

Rotational motion is used in many real-world applications, such as in vehicles with rotating wheels, turbines in power plants, and even in sports equipment like a spinning basketball. It is also a key concept in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in space.