Rotational Motion / Static Equilibrium - Mechanics

In summary, the problem text needs to state that the coefficient of static friction between the pole and the floor is greater than that between the pole and the ceiling. This is in order to have "pivot" at the bottom.
EEristavi
Homework Statement
A uniform pole is propped between the floor and the
ceiling of a room. The height of the room is 7.80 ft,
and the coefficient of static friction between the pole
and the ceiling is 0.576. The coefficient of static friction
between the pole and the floor is greater than that
between the pole and the ceiling. What is the length
of the longest pole that can be propped between the
floor and the ceiling
Relevant Equations
T = F R
I have a solution, However Cant understand 1 point.Now, This is the solution:

Problem1.JPG

##N_2 l cos\theta + \frac 1 2 F_g l cos\theta - f_2 l sin\theta = 0##
## N_2(1 - \mu tan\theta) + \frac 1 2 F_g = 0##

This is the the point that I don't like - yes it is less that 0, but it's even less that ##\frac 1 2 F_g = 0##
## N_2(1 - \mu tan\theta) < 0 ## ?

## (1 - \mu tan\theta) < 0 ##
##tan\theta > \mu^{-1} ##
##\theta ## ≅ 60.1

l = ##\frac h {sin\theta}##Can someone please explain it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is it about ## \ \
N_2(1 - \mu \tan\theta) < 0 \ \ {\bf ?}
\ \ ## that you don't like ?

##\frac 1 2 F_g = 0 ## is positive and it needs to be compensated to end up in equilibrium.

Do you understand why the problem text needs to state
The coefficient of static friction between the pole and the floor is greater than that between the pole and the ceiling

As I understand: Because the coefficient of static friction of floor is greater that ceiling - we have "pivot" at the bottom.

BvU said:
##\frac 1 2 F_g = 0##
why it equals to 0? you're saying that ##F_g=0##

No, sorry: I quoted your post and forgot to remove the = 0. I mean to say that the torque from ##F_g## is in the positive ##z##-direction.

It's a matter of looking carefully at the signs -- hence the choice of coordinate ystem. Conventionally Y is up and x to the right, so z is towards the viewer.

EEristavi said:
As I understand: Because the coefficient of static friction of floor is greater that ceiling - we have "pivot" at the bottom.
That's the idea. Plus: In addition to the torque balance we need a force balance, which in the vertical direction reads ##n_1 + n_2 + F_g = 0 ## . Here ##n_1## is positive and the other two are negative.

EEristavi said:
Because the coefficient of static friction of floor is greater that ceiling - we have "pivot" at the bottom.
No idea what you mean by "having pivot".
The horizontal forces must be in balance; the normal force must be greater at the floor.
If the ceiling had the greater coefficient of friction then it would not be obvious which of the two frictional forces was at its limit. But since the floor has the greater friction (or equal would have done) the limiting condition must be the frictional force at the ceiling.

Likes BvU
When I said, I don't like
##N_2(1−μtanθ)<0##

I meant, shouldn't we just have to solve this?
##N_2(1−μtanθ) = - F_g##
haruspex said:
No idea what you mean by "having pivot"
I meant, that rotational center will be bottom point (or rotation will occur around the bottom point).
Hope I expressed myself clearly.

EEristavi said:
I meant, that rotational center will be bottom point (or rotation will occur around the bottom point).
Hope I expressed myself clearly.
Since no rotation is actually going to occur until something gives, the phrasing I would prefer is that the rod "does not slip" at the floor. Which axis you choose to use to account for the torque balance is still a free choice.

Likes EEristavi, haruspex and BvU
EEristavi said:
##N_2(1−μtanθ)< 0##

##N_2(1−μtanθ)< -F_g##

Any notes on this part?

EEristavi said:
##N_2(1−μtanθ)<0##

##N_2(1−μtanθ) = - F_g##
The question asks for the max length that can stay in position. In trying to get it to do so, you can ram it into place so that the normal forces are much larger than the weight of the pole. I.e. you want the limit as the normal forces tend to infinity.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the rotation of an object about a fixed point, rather than linear motion along a straight line.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and remains at rest. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no net torque, or rotational force, acting on the object.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear and rotational motion is the direction of movement. In linear motion, the object moves along a straight line, while in rotational motion, the object moves in a circular path around a fixed point. Additionally, linear motion involves translational movement, while rotational motion involves angular movement.

What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion and is dependent on an object's mass and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to rotate.

How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.