Rotational Motion / Torque Question

In summary: Only provide a summary of the content. In summary, the wheel has a radius of 0.40 meters, it is mounted on frictionless bearings and a block is suspended from a rope that is wound on the wheel and attached to it. The wheel is released from rest and the block descends 1.5 meters in 2.00 seconds while the wheel rotates clockwise. The tension in the rope during the descent of the block is 20 Newtons.
PherricOxide

Homework Statement

A wheel has a radius of 0.40 m and is mounted on frictionless bearings. A block is suspended from a rope that is wound on the wheel and attached to it. The wheel is released from rest and the block descends 1.5 m in 2.00 s while the wheel rotates clockwise. The tension in the rope during the descent of the block is 20 N.

Find the mass of the block.

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta[/tex] = (1/2)[tex]\alpha[/tex]t^2 + [tex]\omega[/tex]0*t + [tex]\theta[/tex]0

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the angular acceleration,
-1.5m / 0.4m * 2pi = (1/2)[tex]\alpha[/tex]*22
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = -(1.5/0.4)pi

Converting that to the y acceleration of a point on the outside,
ay = -1.5pi

From there, I tried to do T - mg = m*ay and solve for mass,
-20N - m*9.8 = -m*1.5pi
m = -20/(-9.8-1.5pi)
m =~ 1.378

However, this isn't correct. The only choices are,
2.0 kg
2.2 kg
2.1 kg
1.9 kg
2.3 kg

And I think it has something to do with torque... I also tried to work through it with torque, but that didn't get me anywhere,
T = R*T = I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]
-0.4*20 = I*-(1.5/0.4)pi
I = (0.4*20)/((1.5/0.4)pi)

Attachments

• 10.2.jpg
    10.2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Although the question of the problem is not stated, I assume you are trying to find the hanging mass. The correct equation of motion for it is

T - mg = - may (You left out the minus sign)

Forget the wheel. You know T and you know g. Can you find ay if you are told that the mass starts from rest and descends 1.5 m in 2.0 s? If so, then you can find m.

Yes, I'm trying to find the mass of the hanging object.

For something starting at rest at y=0,
y = (1/2)at^2
-1.5 = (1/2)*a*2^2
a = -0.75

From there,
T - mg = -may
20 - m*9.8 = m*0.75
20 = m(0.75+9.8)
m = 20/(0.75+9.8)
m =~ 1.9kg.

However, this still isn't the right answer... It shows the correct answer as 2.2kg, I just can't figure out where it came from.

Hi PherricOxide! :smile:
PherricOxide said:
… a = -0.75

From there,
T - mg = -may
20 - m*9.8 = m*0.75

You're confused about which way is up :redface:

one of those minuses is wrong. :wink:

20-9.8*m = m*(-0.75)

There we go, thanks guys. I'm still wondering why this was in the chapter with dynamics of rotational motion though.. I guess that's just a harder way to solve it.

Here is the answer-

We can see that both the weight of the block and tension in the rope are constant. So, acceleration of the block is going to remain constant.

let's consider vertically downward direction as +Y. We have ΔY=1.5m and Δt=2.0s. Now, by using the formula ΔY=0.5a(Δt)^2, we can find "a" which is 0.75ms^-2.

In this problem the forces that are acting on the block are T, tension in the rope and weight of the object which we can consider to be mg.

ΣF=ma=mg-T where T is 20N.

Now by substituting the values into the equation and we'll get m=2.21kg i.e 2.2kg to 2s.f.

Hi AakashR! :smile:

Please do not give complete answers.​

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. This type of motion is circular or curved in nature and is measured in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque is measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. How is rotational motion related to linear motion?

Rotational motion and linear motion are related through the concept of angular velocity and linear velocity. When an object rotates, its points on the edge move with different linear velocities, depending on their distance from the axis of rotation. The farther away a point is from the axis, the faster it moves, resulting in a relationship between linear and angular velocity.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, as it determines how much force or torque is needed to accelerate an object's rotation. The moment of inertia depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of an object.

5. How can rotational motion be applied in real-life situations?

Rotational motion has various applications in real-life situations, such as in the operation of machines, vehicles, and sports equipment. It is also used in the design of roller coasters, turbines, and other mechanical systems. In addition, rotational motion plays a crucial role in the movement of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.