Router and I would ike to set up NAT

• Thread starter DaoDuyQuang66
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Router Set
In summary, setting up NAT on a home network with a router is possible and can be easily done by accessing the router admin settings for Port Forwarding or NAT. Cisco's acquisition of Linksys has improved router security and most modern routers, including Linksys, come with NAT enabled by default. By following the instructions and researching online, one can secure their router to a high degree and learn a lot in the process.
DaoDuyQuang66
I have a router and I would ike to set up NAT, I am not sure if this can be done with only a home use network
ISP-Router-mycomputer :biggrin:

:biggrin: I sorry my mouth is bigger than others'

Thank you

Computer science news on Phys.org

Most true routers are already locked down with most ports closed. Either way just look in the router admin settings for Port Forwarding or NAT. It's really easy.

Cisco bought Linksys several years ago. Cisco is a leader in router security. They spread their tactics throughout Linksys (whose tactics were already very good), in hopes of capturing the home market.

Linksys routers today are fully NAT out of the box. They're not high and tight, but no-one's routers are. Read the directions, ancilliary info you find online, and tweak your the snot out of your router's settings until it no longer works. Then, start from scratch and do it again, until you've locked down everything you can in a systematic process until you can't lock it down any further without loosing something you'd rather not do without.

The cool thing is, you'll learn a lot in the process.

1. What is a router and why is it important in setting up NAT?

A router is a networking device that connects multiple devices to a single network. It is important in setting up NAT (Network Address Translation) because it acts as a gateway between the local network and the internet, allowing devices to communicate with each other and with the internet.

2. Can I set up NAT without a router?

No, a router is essential for setting up NAT. Without a router, there would be no way to connect multiple devices to a single network and perform the necessary translation of IP addresses.

3. How do I set up NAT on my router?

The exact steps for setting up NAT on a router may vary depending on the make and model, but generally, you would need to access the router's settings through a web browser, navigate to the NAT or "port forwarding" section, and configure the desired settings.

4. What are the benefits of using NAT?

NAT offers several benefits, including increased security by hiding internal IP addresses from external networks, easier management of network resources by allowing multiple devices to share a single public IP address, and improved network performance by conserving IP addresses.

5. Are there any downsides to using NAT?

One potential downside of using NAT is that it can make it more difficult to establish direct connections between devices on the local network and external networks, such as for online gaming or video conferencing. Additionally, some forms of NAT may cause compatibility issues with certain applications or protocols.