Rubber Band Fumes: Is My Cake Inedible?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
NicYeom
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I just baked a cake, and accidentally left a rubber band around the cake tin (which was holding the greaseproof paper in place). Is the cake inedible due to fumes given off by the rubber band?? Thanks :)
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
NicYeom said:
I just baked a cake, and accidentally left a rubber band around the cake tin (which was holding the greaseproof paper in place). Is the cake inedible due to fumes given off by the rubber band?? Thanks :)
Rubber can produce toxic fumes/residues so I would throw the cake away and make sure all the burnt residue is removed from the cake tin.

See below

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/are-fumes-from-burned-rubber-bands-toxic.993641/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara and NicYeom
Actually - no matter the toxicity - I doubt the cake is edible. Unless you like things that stink of burnt rubber.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: HAYAO and pinball1970
You should throw the cake away, but the oven also needs a good cleanup, maybe even an empty burn if a good nose calls it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Tom.G