Rubber Band Fumes: Is My Cake Inedible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential toxicity of a cake that had a rubber band left around the tin while baking. It is advised to throw the cake away and thoroughly clean the oven due to potential toxic fumes and residue from the burnt rubber band.
NicYeom
I just baked a cake, and accidentally left a rubber band around the cake tin (which was holding the greaseproof paper in place). Is the cake inedible due to fumes given off by the rubber band?? Thanks :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NicYeom said:
I just baked a cake, and accidentally left a rubber band around the cake tin (which was holding the greaseproof paper in place). Is the cake inedible due to fumes given off by the rubber band?? Thanks :)
Rubber can produce toxic fumes/residues so I would throw the cake away and make sure all the burnt residue is removed from the cake tin.

See below

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/are-fumes-from-burned-rubber-bands-toxic.993641/

Likes jim mcnamara and NicYeom
Actually - no matter the toxicity - I doubt the cake is edible. Unless you like things that stink of burnt rubber.

Likes HAYAO and pinball1970
You should throw the cake away, but the oven also needs a good cleanup, maybe even an empty burn if a good nose calls it.

Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G

1. How can I tell if my cake has been contaminated with rubber band fumes?

The most obvious sign of rubber band fume contamination is a strong, unpleasant odor coming from the cake. You may also notice a strange taste or texture in the cake.

2. Are rubber band fumes harmful if ingested?

In most cases, the small amount of rubber band fumes that may have contaminated your cake will not cause any harm if ingested. However, if you have a known allergy to rubber or have consumed a large amount of fumes, it is best to seek medical attention.

3. How do rubber band fumes get into my cake?

Rubber band fumes can enter your cake if it was stored near rubber bands or if the cake was wrapped with rubber bands. The fumes can also transfer through packaging materials or from other items in close proximity to the cake.

4. Can I still eat the cake if it has been contaminated with rubber band fumes?

In most cases, the cake will still be safe to eat after being exposed to rubber band fumes. However, if the odor or taste is too strong, it is best to discard the cake to avoid any potential health risks.

5. How can I prevent rubber band fumes from contaminating my food in the future?

To prevent rubber band fumes from contaminating your food, make sure to store food away from rubber bands and avoid using rubber bands to wrap food. If possible, opt for alternative packaging materials such as plastic wrap or aluminum foil.