Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin Theorem 1.21. How does he get The identity ?

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    Rudin Theorem 1.21. How does he get "The identity"?

In Theorem 1.21, Rudin says:

The identity [tex] b^n-a^n=(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+....+a^{n-1}) [/tex]yields etc etc.

What is this "identity", and do we need to prove it first? If not, what assumption is Rudin making?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

Just multiply it out

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    So if we have [tex]b^3-a^3[/tex], we get
    [tex] (b.b.b)-(a.a.a)[/tex]

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what to do from here on.

5. Nov 8, 2013 #4
    ##(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+....+a^{n-1}) = b(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+....+a^{n-1})-a(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+....+a^{n-1}) = (b^{n}+b^{n-1}a+....+ba^{n-1}) - (b^{n-1}a+b^{n-2}a^2+....+a^{n}) = b^n-a^n##

6. Nov 8, 2013 #5
    Thanks that works!

It's curious though. We've proved it in one direction, but I wonder how someone made the formula in the first place.

7. Nov 8, 2013 #6
    I suppose one might start by noticing that ##(b-a)## factors ##b^n-a^n##, since ##a## is clearly a root of the polynomial ##x^n-a^n##. So ##b^n-a^n=(b-a)p(a,b)## for some polynomial ##p(a,b)##. Then, to determine ##p(a,b)##, one could start doing long division to see the pattern. Alternatively, we can construct ##p(a,b)## by noticing that ##p(a,b)=p(b,a)##, and that ##p(a,b)## must have ##b^{n-1}## as a term.

8. Nov 9, 2013 #7
    I linked to your reply from my blog post: http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2013/un...ins-principles-of-mathematical-analysis.html/

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook