Theorem 1.21 Rudin. Obviously wrong stated, right?

• Thread starter saim_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the statement of Theorem 1.21 in Rudin, which asserts that for every positive real number x and integer n, there exists only one positive real number y such that y^n = x. The participants also mention a possible error in the statement and discuss the assumption of positivity in the proof.
saim_
Theorem 1.21 Rudin. Obviously wrongly stated, right?

Theorem 1.21 in Rudin states:

For every real [itex]x > 0[/itex], and every integer [itex]n > 0[/itex], there is one and only one real [itex]y[/itex] such that [itex]y^{n} = x[/itex].

The bold part should be "only one positive real", shouldn't it, or am I missing something? The proof also start with with an implicit assumption that [itex]y[/itex] is positive.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yeah I agree it should be positive.

The obvious counter example if it wasn't is n=2 then both -1^2=1 and 1^2=1 making the statement false.

I'm looking at the Third Edition and it says "one and only one positive real."

Thanks guys.

@GenePeer: I got third edition as well and it says exactly what I wrote. The error must be only in some prints then.

I would respond to this by saying that while the statement may seem obvious and straightforward, it is important to carefully consider all aspects and assumptions made in a theorem before concluding that it is obviously wrong. In this case, the statement may seem obvious because it is a well-known fact that every positive real number has a unique positive nth root. However, the proof of this theorem does require the assumption that y is positive, which may not be immediately apparent to everyone. It is important to be thorough and precise in mathematical proofs in order to ensure accuracy and avoid misunderstandings.

1. What is Theorem 1.21 in Rudin's book?

Theorem 1.21 in Rudin's book is a result in real analysis that states the convergence of a sequence of real numbers implies the convergence of its absolute values.

2. Is Theorem 1.21 stated correctly in Rudin's book?

No, Theorem 1.21 is stated incorrectly in Rudin's book. The correct statement should be that the convergence of a sequence of real numbers implies the convergence of its absolute values, rather than the other way around.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 1.21 in real analysis?

Theorem 1.21 is significant in real analysis because it establishes a fundamental relationship between the convergence of a sequence and the convergence of its absolute values. This result is used in many proofs and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of sequences of real numbers.

4. Can Theorem 1.21 be applied to sequences of complex numbers?

No, Theorem 1.21 only applies to sequences of real numbers. Convergence of absolute values is not equivalent to convergence of complex numbers, so the theorem does not hold for complex sequences.

5. How is Theorem 1.21 related to other theorems in Rudin's book?

Theorem 1.21 is related to other theorems in Rudin's book by its use in proving other results, such as the Monotone Convergence Theorem and the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality. It also serves as a foundation for the concept of absolute convergence in real analysis.