Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Rule to integrate a function with respect to its derivative

1. Sep 10, 2017 #1
    Hello all, I was just wondering if there is any rules for integrating a function with respect to it's own derivative.

That is to say ##\int _{ }^{ }f\left(x\right)d\left(f'\left(x\right)\right)## or ##\int _{ }^{ }yd\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)##

Thank you in advance for your time :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I came until ##\int f(x) d(f'(x)) = f(x)f'(x) - \int (f'(x)^2)dx## so its the integral of a function squared, which has no general solution without knowing ##f'(x)##.

4. Sep 10, 2017 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We can use substitution. Set ##u=f'(x)##. Then ##\frac{d(f'(x))}{dx}=\frac{du}{dx}=f''(x)## so in the integral we can replace ##d(f'(x))##, which is ##du##, by ##f''(x)dx##. That gives us:
    $$\int f(x)f''(x)dx$$
    Whether a closed form can be found for the integral depends on ##f##.

5. Sep 11, 2017 #4
    Thank you both for your help :)

I knew that ##\int _{ }^{ }f\left(x\right)d\left(f\left(x\right)\right)## has the general solution of ##\frac{1}{2}\left(f\left(x\right)\right)^2## regardless of what the function actually is. I was curious as to whether there would be a way to apply this while integrating with respect to the functions derivative instead, but it looks like there's no general solution for this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted