Runner's power and displacement

In summary: Power is the time derivative of energy. If you're confused about that, you need to go back and review a little bit of calculus. But the idea is that if power is constant, then you can write energy as a linear function of time.[b]In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a 60-kg runner increases her speed from 2 m/s to 4.3 m/s in 5 seconds, assuming constant power and neglecting air resistance. The conversation includes attempts at solving for the power developed and the distance traveled, using equations such as P=W/t and T=1/2mv^2. Ultimately, it is suggested to use the kinematics equation s=ut+0.5at^2 and
stinlin

Homework Statement

A 60-kg runner increases her speed from 2 m/s to 4.3 m/s in 5 s. Assuming she develops constant power during this time interval and neglecting air resistance, determine (a) the power developed, (b) the distance traveled.

Homework Equations

P = W/t
T = kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The power was easy:

T1 + U1->2 = T2

U1->2 = T2 - T1 = 1/2*m(v2^2 - v1^2) = 434.7 J

P = U/t = 434.7/5 = 86.9 W

Ok, but the displacement, I'm not sure:

P = W/t = Fd, and that's all I have. I don't know F. I know P, W,t, but without F or d, I'm slightly screwed. Can I have some help? If it helps, I DO know the answer, but I'd like to see a solution/arrive at an answer before looking at it. :rolleyes:

EDIT

I just tried Impulse-Momentum and STILL didn't get the right answer:

mv1 + Imp 1->2 = mv2

Imp 1->2 = F(t2-t1) and t2-t1 = 5s

So:

F = (m(v2-v1))/(t2-t1) = 27.6

P = W/t = Fd/t -----> Pt/F = d

Using that, I'm getting the wrong answer of 15.74 m.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the kinematics equations to solve for the distance.
[tex]s=ut+0.5at^2[/tex], you have t, you can find out a by (v-u)/t.

stinlin said:

I just tried Impulse-Momentum and STILL didn't get the right answer:

mv1 + Imp 1->2 = mv2

Imp 1->2 = F(t2-t1) and t2-t1 = 5s

So:

F = (m(v2-v1))/(t2-t1) = 27.6

P = W/t = Fd/t -----> Pt/F = d

Using that, I'm getting the wrong answer of 15.74 m.

The forces here arent impulsive. You could equate the change in momentum to average force, divide by m to get average acceleration and then use the equation above to get the distance.

Neither of those methods work - I tried them both previous to posting this. =(

"Assuming she develops constant power", then at any time t, 0< t< 5, ((1/2)mv2- (1/2)m(22)/t= 30(v2- 4)/t= 86.9 so
v2= 2.9t+ 4. [itex]v= dx/dt= \sqrt{2.9t+ 4}[/itex]. Integrate that to find the distance run in those 5 seconds.

Woah, that gives the right answer...Haha - can you explain that one more time please?

He's using the 'constant power' condition to say that the energy of the runner is increasing at a constant rate. In other words, that kinetic energy is a linear function of time. Meaning in turn that v^2 is a linear function of time. Using information in the problem he finds this function, solves for v and integrates it. Does that help?

I guess it makes perfect sense, I'm just confused still about the idea of constant power development and it's implications. Can you give another example where this would apply by chance?

How about a motor running at constant power and spinning up a flywheel? Stuff like that.

I can understand the verbal example, but what's the deal with integrating due to constant power development?

There's no special concept of 'constant power development'. The point was just to find the time derivative of something and then integrate it to get the change in the something.

1. What is runner's power and displacement?

Runner's power and displacement refer to the amount of energy and distance, respectively, that a runner expends while running. Power is typically measured in watts, and displacement is measured in meters.

2. How is runner's power and displacement measured?

Runner's power and displacement can be measured using specialized equipment such as a power meter or GPS watch. These devices track the runner's speed, distance, and heart rate to calculate power and displacement.

3. What factors affect runner's power and displacement?

The main factors that affect runner's power and displacement include the runner's body weight, running form, terrain, and weather conditions. Other factors such as training and nutrition can also have an impact on these measurements.

4. How can runner's power and displacement be improved?

Runner's power and displacement can be improved through consistent training, proper nutrition, and adequate rest and recovery. Working on running form and incorporating strength and speed training can also help improve power and displacement.

5. Is runner's power or displacement more important for performance?

Both runner's power and displacement are important for performance. Power is a measure of how much energy a runner is expending, while displacement is a measure of how far they are moving. A balance of both is needed for optimal performance.