Running multiple studies in COMSOL

In summary: I think it would be helpful if you could describe the issue in more detail.In summary, when electrostatics is added to the model, it affects the results of other properties, such as capacitance.
fkhan
Hi. Can anyone help me to figure out how to run multiple studies in COMSOL? I want to first compute the displacement of a membrane using temperature load and then find the capacitance between two electrodes using electrostatics. The idea is that as the membrane moves upwards the capacitance will decrease (the top electrode of capacitor is on top of the membrane). Given that i need to find B using the results of A I think I should use 2 studies but even when i select only thermal stress and electromechanics for study 1 it still doesn't provide the right solution if electrostatics study is added to the model. But if i use thermal stress and electromechanics without electrostatics in the model it gives perfect results. That makes me conclude that even after removing electrostatics from the study it still uses some variables from it which mess up the calculations. I've tried everything i could think of so any help would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess that electrostatics and electromechanics interact strongly with each other, so it might not be a bug that makes the result different if the electrostatics module is added. You should make sure that properties of all elements are correct.

If you electrostatics is used only to calculate the capacitance, couldn't you do it from within electromechanics? I am not familiar with that module, but there might be a way to calculate the capacitance by measuring the accumulated charges using Gauss's law.

electromechanics physics is a combination of 2 physics (electrostatics and solid mechanics). I understand what you're trying to say but don't you think if i remove the electrostatics from the study comsol should use only thermal stress and solid mechanics to cause deflection? well that's not what's happening. As soon as i add electrostatics to the model (even if i don't add it to the study or remove it from the study) it causes severely improper results.

1. How do I set up and run multiple studies in COMSOL?

To set up and run multiple studies in COMSOL, follow these steps:1. In the Model Builder window, click on the "Study" tab.2. Click on the "Add Study" button to create a new study.3. Name the study and choose the type of study you want to run (e.g. stationary, time-dependent, parametric).4. In the Settings window, specify the parameters and variables you want to vary in the study.5. Click on the "Run" button to start the study.6. To add additional studies, repeat the above steps.

2. Can I run multiple studies simultaneously in COMSOL?

Yes, you can run multiple studies simultaneously in COMSOL. This can be done by selecting the "Run in Background" option in the "Run" menu. This will allow you to continue working on your model while the studies are running in the background. You can also specify the number of CPU cores to use for each study to optimize performance.

3. How do I compare results from different studies in COMSOL?

To compare results from different studies in COMSOL, you can use the "Compare Results" functionality. This can be accessed by clicking on the "Results" tab and then selecting "Compare Results" from the "Results" menu. You can then choose which studies you want to compare and view the results side by side.

4. Is it possible to change parameters and variables for multiple studies at once in COMSOL?

Yes, you can change parameters and variables for multiple studies at once in COMSOL by using the "Study Sequence" functionality. This allows you to define a sequence of studies where each study uses the results from the previous one as initial conditions. You can then change the parameters and variables for the entire sequence, saving you time and effort.

5. Can I save and export results from multiple studies in COMSOL?

Yes, you can save and export results from multiple studies in COMSOL. You can save the results as separate files for each study, or you can use the "Combine Results" functionality to merge the results from multiple studies into one file. You can also export the results in various formats, such as images, data files, and reports.