Ryder, QFT 2nd Ed. Page 47, eqn (1.122)

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the formula (1 - \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta})\mathbf{\sigma}(1 + \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta}) = \mathbf{\sigma - \theta\times\sigma} was discussed in this conversation, with a focus on temporarily ignoring the y and z components. Through various calculations and putting the components back in, the conclusion was reached that Ryder was correct and the formula simplifies to \vec{\sigma}-\vec{\theta}\times \vec{\sigma}+\mathcal{O}\left( \theta ^{2}\right).
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

[tex](1 - \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta})\mathbf{\sigma}(1 + \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta}) = \mathbf{\sigma - \theta\times\sigma}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At one point in this, I temporarily ignore the y and z components. I hope the notation is not too confusing.
[tex](1 - \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta})\mathbf{\sigma}(1 + \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta}) = \mathbf{\sigma} + \frac{i}{2}(\mathbf{\sigma}(\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta}) - (\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta})\mathbf{\sigma})[/tex]
[tex] = \mathbf{\sigma} + \frac{i}{2}(\sigma_x(\sigma_x\theta_x + \sigma_y\theta_y + \sigma_z\theta_z) - (\sigma_x\theta_x + \sigma_y\theta_y + \sigma_z\theta_z)\sigma_x) + ()[/tex]
[tex] = \mathbf{\sigma} + \frac{i}{2}(\theta_x + 2i\sigma_z\theta_y - 2i\sigma_y\theta_z) - (\theta_x - 2i\sigma_z\theta_y + 2i\sigma_y\theta_z)) + ()[/tex]
[tex] = \mathbf{\sigma} - 2(\sigma_z\theta_y - \sigma_y\theta_z) + ()[/tex]
and finally, putting the y and z compenents back in:
[tex](1 - \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta})\sigma(1 + \frac{i}{2}\mathbf{\sigma\cdot\theta}) = \mathbf{\sigma - 2\theta\times\sigma}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\left[ \vec{\sigma}-\frac{i}{2}\left( \vec{\sigma}\cdot \vec{\theta}\right) \vec{\sigma}\right] \left[ 1+\frac{i}{2}\left( \vec{\sigma}\cdot \vec{\theta}\right) \right] =\vec{\sigma}+\frac{i}{2}\vec{\sigma}\left( \vec{\sigma}\cdot \vec{\theta}\right) -\frac{i}{2}\left( \vec{\sigma}\cdot \vec{\theta}\right) \vec{\sigma}+\mathcal{O}\left( \theta ^{2}\right) [/tex]

[tex] =\left[ \sigma _{i}+\frac{i}{2}\left( \sigma _{i}\sigma _{j}-\sigma _{j}\sigma _{i}\right) \theta _{j}\right] \vec{e}_{i}+\mathcal{O}\left( \theta ^{2}\right)=\left( \sigma _{i}+\frac{i}{2}2i\varepsilon _{ijk}\sigma _{k}\theta _{j}\right) \vec{e}_{i}=\vec{\sigma}-\vec{\theta}\times \vec{\sigma}+\mathcal{O}\left( \theta ^{2}\right) [/tex]

So Ryder was right this time.

dextercioby said:
Ryder was right this time.
Thanks dextercioby. I do try hard to solve these matters before I post. It has taken me a month just to get to page 92. I cannot explain what mental blindness caused me to have trouble with this one though.

I don't think it's mental blindness; it's just lack of exercise and at some points also the inspiration's missing. Just keep up the good work !

1. What is the significance of "Ryder, QFT 2nd Ed. Page 47, eqn (1.122)" in quantum field theory?

Equation (1.122) in Ryder's textbook is an important equation in quantum field theory that represents the Feynman propagator, which is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle propagating from one point to another in spacetime. It is derived from the Feynman path integral formulation of quantum mechanics and plays a key role in many calculations in quantum field theory.

2. How is equation (1.122) derived in Ryder's textbook?

In Ryder's textbook, equation (1.122) is derived using the Feynman path integral formulation of quantum mechanics. This involves summing over all possible paths a particle could take between two points in spacetime, with each path being weighted by a phase factor. The resulting expression is then simplified using mathematical techniques to obtain equation (1.122).

3. Is equation (1.122) applicable to all quantum field theories?

Yes, equation (1.122) is a general equation that is applicable to all quantum field theories, including the Standard Model. However, its specific form may vary depending on the type of field theory being studied.

4. How is equation (1.122) used in practical calculations?

Equation (1.122) is a powerful tool used in practical calculations in quantum field theory. It is often used to calculate scattering amplitudes, particle interactions, and other physical quantities in quantum field theories. It allows for the calculation of these quantities to be expressed in terms of integrals, which can then be solved using various mathematical techniques.

5. Can equation (1.122) be extended to include interactions between particles?

Yes, equation (1.122) can be extended to include interactions between particles by adding interaction terms to the Lagrangian of the theory. This results in a more complicated expression for the Feynman propagator, but it still follows the same general form as equation (1.122) and can be used in practical calculations.