S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string

Thanks for pointing it out though! In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a guitar string executing simple harmonic motion. The given equation for the motion is used to find the period, maximum speed, and maximum acceleration of the string, as well as the initial displacement, velocity, and acceleration. The formatting of the LaTex equations is also mentioned and checked for correctness.
DuoASM
Hi guys, I would be grateful if you could help me out with this problem, I've worked though it myself, but my answer to part c is very large, which is making me doubt my answer, and in turn making me doubt my answer to part b

Homework Statement

The midpoint of a guitar string executes s.h.m with a motion following the form:
$$x(t) = A\ \textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
where:
  • $$A = 1.60mm =1.60 \times 10^{-3} m$$
  • $$\omega = 2.76 \times 10^3 s^{-1}$$
  • $$\Phi = \frac{\pi}{2}$$
a) What is the period of the oscillation of the spring?
b)What is the maximum speed of the string during this motion?
c)what is the maximum magnitude of the acceleration of the string?
d) Determine the initial displacement, velocity and acceleration of the midpoint of the spring

Homework Equations

$$x(t) = A\ \textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
$$v(t) = A\omega\ \textrm{cos}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
$$a(t) = -A\omega^2\ \textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
$$ T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

a) using $$ T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}$$
$$ T = \frac{2\pi}{2.76 \times 10^3 s^{-1}} = 2.28 \times 10^{-3}s$$

b) Maximum speed is obtained when $$\textrm{cos}(\omega t + \Phi) = 1$$
So maximum speed is given by: $$ A\omega \times 1 = 1.60 \times 10^{-3}m \times 2.76 \times 10^3 s^{-1} =4.42ms^{-1} $$

c) Similarly, maximum magnitude of acceleration is found when $$\textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi) = 1$$
So: $$ |a| =A\omega^2 = 1.60 \times 10^{-3}m \times (2.76 \times 10^3 s^{-1})^2 = 1.22 \times 10^4 ms^{-2}$$

d) The initial values are found at $$ t = 0 $$ so it follows that $$ \omega t = 0$$
so, for the initial displacement: $$x(t) = A\ \textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
$$ x(0) =1.60 \times 10^{-3} m \ \textrm{sin}(0 + \frac{\pi}{2}) = 1.60 \times 10^{-3} m$$
For initial velocity, as $$ \textrm{cos}(0 + \frac{\pi}{2}) = 0$$
then it follows that: $$v(0) = A\omega\ \textrm{cos}( 0+ \frac{\pi}{2}) = 0$$
And for the initial acceleration:
$$a(t) = -A\omega^2\ \textrm{sin}(\omega t + \Phi)$$
$$a (0)= 1.60 \times 10^{-3}m \times (2.76 \times 10^3 s^{-1})^2 \textrm{sin}(0 + \frac{\pi}{2})$$ $$a(0)= 1.22 \times 10^4 ms^{-2}$$I hope the formatting is okay, its the first time I have tried using LaTex. If there is anything wrong please point it out, it will all help me improve. Thank you for your time in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks ok.

For the acceleration, compare to the other numbers you have. The maximum speed is 4.42 m/s, with a period of 2.28 ms. You need quite an acceleration to reach such a speed in a fraction of a period.

Likes DuoASM
Initial acceleration should be negative, otherwise looks OK.

Likes DuoASM
DrClaude said:
It all looks ok.

For the acceleration, compare to the other numbers you have. The maximum speed is 4.42 m/s, with a period of 2.28 ms. You need quite an acceleration to reach such a speed in a fraction of a period.

Thanks for the quick reply, when you phrase it like that it definitely makes more sense.

mjc123 said:
Initial acceleration should be negative, otherwise looks OK.
I noticed that typo after I posted, I tried to change it but I think I was too quick, the spam protection stopped me from changing it

1. What is S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string?

S.H.M stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. The midpoint of a guitar string experiences this type of motion when the string is plucked or strummed.

2. How does the S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string affect the sound produced by the guitar?

The S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string directly affects the frequency and pitch of the sound produced by the guitar. The faster the string vibrates, the higher the frequency and pitch of the sound. This is why tightening or loosening the guitar string can change the sound it produces.

3. Can the S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string be altered?

Yes, the S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string can be altered by changing the tension, length, or thickness of the string. This can be done by adjusting the tuning pegs or using a capo on the guitar.

4. How does the S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string differ from other types of motion?

The S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string is a type of periodic motion, meaning it repeats in a predictable pattern. Other types of motion, such as random or circular motion, do not follow a predictable pattern.

5. Is the S.H.M of the midpoint of a guitar string affected by the material of the string?

Yes, the material of the guitar string can affect the S.H.M of the midpoint. Different materials have different properties, such as density and flexibility, which can impact the way the string vibrates and produces sound.