Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: S = ut + 1/2 at^2

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    hi there, i need a little help:

s = ut + 1/2 at^2

0.3 = 0 x 0.02 + 0.5 x a x 0.02^2

0.3= 0.5 x a x 0.02^2

Thats wher i got a bit confused, what do i do to get a the subject, and what happens to the t^2, bearing in ind that the graph i have to plot at the end involves t^2, and not t

Thanks, dragon2309

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you plotting [itex] t^2 [/itex] against what?

4. Feb 22, 2006 #3
    im plotting t^2 against s, which is displacement (or distance)

5. Feb 22, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And is [itex] t^2 [/itex] on the [itex] y [/itex] axis? If that is the case you need to re-arrange until you get something like [itex] t^2 = k.s + c [/itex].

6. Feb 22, 2006 #5
    You are plotting [itex]t^2[/itex] against s? But in your equation above, the only unknown is a. Do you have a set of values for t and s and have to determine the acceleration from them?

7. Feb 22, 2006 #6
    Yes i do, i have a set of values for s and t, im getting really confused, i just dont know what im supposed to be doing now, and tryig to think about it just threw up more questions.

8. Feb 22, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll help you through it, ignore the numbers for the moment. Like I said before you trying to get something that looks like [itex] t^2 = k.s + c [/itex]. Start with [itex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex] and see how you can manipulate it. It would be easier however to plot [itex] t [/itex] against [itex] s [/itex].

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  9. Feb 22, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: You can cancel the [itex] ut [/itex] because [itex] u =0 [/itex] [itex] \Rightarrow s = \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex]. Nevermind, it seems [itex] t^2 [/itex] is easier to plot. oops

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook