1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S = ut + 1/2 at^2

1. Feb 22, 2006 #1
    hi there, i need a little help:

s = ut + 1/2 at^2

0.3 = 0 x 0.02 + 0.5 x a x 0.02^2

0.3= 0.5 x a x 0.02^2

Thats wher i got a bit confused, what do i do to get a the subject, and what happens to the t^2, bearing in ind that the graph i have to plot at the end involves t^2, and not t

Thanks, dragon2309

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you plotting [itex] t^2 [/itex] against what?

4. Feb 22, 2006 #3
    im plotting t^2 against s, which is displacement (or distance)

5. Feb 22, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And is [itex] t^2 [/itex] on the [itex] y [/itex] axis? If that is the case you need to re-arrange until you get something like [itex] t^2 = k.s + c [/itex].

6. Feb 22, 2006 #5
    You are plotting [itex]t^2[/itex] against s? But in your equation above, the only unknown is a. Do you have a set of values for t and s and have to determine the acceleration from them?

7. Feb 22, 2006 #6
    Yes i do, i have a set of values for s and t, im getting really confused, i just dont know what im supposed to be doing now, and tryig to think about it just threw up more questions.

8. Feb 22, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll help you through it, ignore the numbers for the moment. Like I said before you trying to get something that looks like [itex] t^2 = k.s + c [/itex]. Start with [itex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex] and see how you can manipulate it. It would be easier however to plot [itex] t [/itex] against [itex] s [/itex].

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  9. Feb 22, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: You can cancel the [itex] ut [/itex] because [itex] u =0 [/itex] [itex] \Rightarrow s = \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex]. Nevermind, it seems [itex] t^2 [/itex] is easier to plot. oops

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?