1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercise about the wavefunction

1. Jun 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an ideal rope where there is a wave moving at velocity ##v=20 m/s##. The displacement of one end of the rope is given by
    $$s(t)=0.1 \mathrm{sin}(6 t)$$
    a) Find the wavefunction ##\xi(x,t)##, knowing that it is progressive
    b) Find the distance ##\delta## (in absolute value) between two points of the rope, that, at a certain time istant, are displaced from Equilibrium position of ##0.02 \mathrm{m}##
    ##[\mathrm{Result} \, \delta=1.34 m]##
    2. Relevant equations

A general wavefunction is
    $$\xi(x,t)=\xi_0 \mathrm{sin}( k x-\omega t +\psi)\tag{1}$$
    3. The attempt at a solution

a) My boundary condition for ##(1)## is that
    $$\xi(0,t)=0.1 \mathrm{sin}(6 t)\tag{2}$$
    Now is it correct to conclude that ##\xi_0=-0.1 m##, ##\omega=6 rad/s## and ##\psi=0##?
    If so, then, considering also ##k=\frac{2 \pi}{\lambda}=\frac{\omega}{v}=0.3 \frac{1}{m}##
    $$\xi(x,t)=0.1 \mathrm{sin}(6t-0.3x )\tag{3}$$

b)Here is the problem. I would say that

$$0.02=0.1 \mathrm{sin}(6t-0.3x )\implies (6t-0.3x)=\arcsin(0.2)+2n\pi \vee \pi-\arcsin(0.2)+2n\pi \implies |x_2-x_1|=\frac{\pi-2\arcsin(0.2)}{0.3}$$

But this does not give the correct result.

Where did I go wrong in this problem? Any suggestion is highly apprectiated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently they want the smallest Δx between two points for which the absolute value of the displacement ##\xi## is 0.02 m.

4. Jun 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes that's part of the question I guess, could you suggest where I went wrong in my derivation? I still do not see the mistake..

5. Jun 16, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like your solution only considers values of ##x## where ##\xi = +0.02## m. What about points where ##\xi = -0.02## m? It helps to make a sketch of the sine wave at some instant of time and mark the points on the x axis where ##\xi = \pm 0.02## m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted