Sakurai 3.21, Cartesian eigenbasis representation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to obtain representations from the closure relation. The problem is that the inner products after using the closure relation do not seem to turn into coefficients as presented in the final results. The solution involves using orthonormality of basis vectors and a relationship between spherical harmonics to find the coefficients. This method is similar to a problem in the first chapter of the book, where we expand ##|S_x,+>## in ##|S_z>## form.
Silicon-Based
Homework Statement
I struggle to understand the given argument for how to represent the three states in the cartesian eigenbasis. I tried writing it out but with no success. I would appreciate if someone could walk me through it step-by-step.
Relevant Equations
Given in picture.
received_2339376919634887.png

Physics news on Phys.org
step-by-step
All steps ? Do you understand the first step (from (2) to the 'we have' triplet) ?

BvU said:
All steps ? Do you understand the first step (from (2) to the 'we have' triplet) ?
What I'm confused about is how the representations were obtained from the closure relation. I understand everything before it. I don't see how to get rid of the inner products after making use of the closure relation.

Last edited:
Silicon-Based said:
What I'm confused about is how the representations were obtained from the closure relation. I understand everything before it. I don't see how to get rid of the inner products after making use of the closure relation.
Can you elaborate your problem in detail?

Abhishek11235 said:
Can you elaborate your problem in detail?
For ##N = 1 = n_x + n_y + n_z## when you apply the completeness relation you get a sum states in coordinate basis for each ##n_i=1##, for a total of three states, each with an inner product between the coordinate and spherical bases (the bra-kets on the very right in the completeness equation). I don't see how those turn into coefficients of ##1/\sqrt{2}## as presented in the final results.

I will give you sketch of the proof.I have forgotten orthogonality relations,so I derived them by myself using following procedure:

Now,I will translate the above problem into following:

$$|qlm>= c_1|100>+c_2|010>+c_3|001>$$

This is same as writing vector into its component form with coefficient and basis indicated.

Now,how do you determine those coefficients? Simply take the dot product with basis vectors and use orthonormality of basis vectors(Also,Use the relation that was derived just after equation (2).

Now,coming to your problem.
If you do above steps with each ##|qlm>## ,you won't get directly numbers. So,what we can do?

Well,Spherical harmonics are orthonormal! Using this we can find relation between coefficient. Again,after this you may not get directly numbers. So,then what?

We have beautiful relationship between spherical harmonics:

$$ Y_{l}^{-m}=(-1)^m[Y_{l}^{m}]*$$
(c.f Sakurai)

This can be used to find coefficients by elimination and solve your problem. A moment thought will show you that you have solved a variant of this problem when we want to expand ##|S_x,+>## in ##|S_z> form in 1st chapter of book.

What is Sakurai 3.21?

Sakurai 3.21 refers to a specific equation in quantum mechanics, derived by physicist Jun John Sakurai. It is used to represent the Cartesian eigenbasis, which is a set of eigenvectors that describe the possible states of a system.

What is the Cartesian eigenbasis representation?

The Cartesian eigenbasis representation is a way of representing the state of a quantum system using a set of eigenvectors, which are vectors that remain unchanged when acted upon by a specific operator. This representation is useful for analyzing and solving problems in quantum mechanics.

How is the Cartesian eigenbasis representation used?

The Cartesian eigenbasis representation is used in quantum mechanics to describe the possible states of a system and to solve equations such as the Schrödinger equation. It is also used to calculate probabilities of different outcomes in quantum measurements.

What is the significance of the Sakurai 3.21 equation?

The Sakurai 3.21 equation is a specific form of the Cartesian eigenbasis representation that is particularly useful in quantum mechanics. It allows for the calculation of the expectation value of an observable, which is a key concept in quantum mechanics.

Are there other types of eigenbasis representations?

Yes, there are other types of eigenbasis representations, such as the spherical eigenbasis and the cylindrical eigenbasis. These representations are used in different contexts and may be more suitable for certain types of problems.