1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salamander locomotion as a standing wave

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently came across a couple of very cool papers about animal locomotion:

Collins and Stewart, "Symmetry-breaking bifurcation: A possible mechanism for 2:1 frequency-locking in animal locomotion," J. Math. Biol. (1992) 30:827-838

Collins and Stewart, "Coupled Nonlinear Oscillators and the Symmetries of Animal Gaits," J. Nonlinear Sci. Vol. 3: pp. 349-392 (1993)

PDFs can be found by googling. On p. 34 of the second one is a nifty example that I thought would be of interest to students in the kind of survey course that biology majors have to take. As a salamander crawls, its body wiggles in a standing-wave pattern. A dogfish makes a traveling wave. I thought the salamander example was cool enough that I created a drawing for my online textbook http://www.lightandmatter.com/lm/ (section 20.4).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 13, 2015 #3
    Now if you look at millipedes walk, their legs seem to make waves.

5. Dec 13, 2015 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just about died laughing when I read the procedure for the friction measurement.

As far as I know, most such examples (earthworms, dogfish, snakes) are traveling waves, not standing waves, and the standing-wave pattern of the salamander is unusual.

6. Dec 13, 2015 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook