Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salt Battery: Choosing anode/cathode

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    I want to build a salt battery, and I've seen them use Zinc and Copper.
    But what if I replaced Zinc with Tungsten, since it has an ion charge of 6+.
    Would that increase the amount of ions, released into the water, and increase the power output? Do you have any suggestions for more potent materials than zinc and copper?
    Any other material I could use to dissolve ions from a metal into water? I don't mean an acid.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what a standard reduction potential is?

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3
    I don't. Would the key for adding more/most ions to water be, which material corrode the most?

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, but if you don't know basics, further discussion is a moot, as you will have no idea what we are talking about. Number of electrons exchanged in redox reaction is only part of things that have to be taken into account when designing a battery.

I guess any general chemistry book with a chapter on redox reactions, standard potentials and Nernst equation is what you need. These things are often discussed also in analytical chemistry books or in physical chemistry books.

Or at least read about reactivity series and electrochemical series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook