Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Salty water showing a voltage?

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hello. Today, I have observed something which I do not understand. I have a glass of water with some table salt in it. I stuck the probes of my digital multimeter into the water. Strangely, I am getting a reading.

If there is any current, it is less than a tenth of a mA. Still, the voltage has been as much as 300 mV. Though, unsteady.

It went up and down, perhaps as low as half the peak value. Then, it would recover. Sometimes, it would hang around one value with little change. Then suddenly, it would begin to quickly change, before slowing again.

Even after hours, I still see about 30 mV. Though, it is a lot more steady now.

Just a moment ago, I repeated what I did earlier in the day. Similar results.

My analog multimeter does not show any voltage. Then again, the smallest of its ranges is 10 volts. Such small millivolt readings are difficult to make.

Anyway, does this have to do with the dissolution of the table salt? That is the only answer I can come up with...

I had never heard of this before...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What are your electrodes made of?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Wet coffee filters.

Then later, just whatever my multimeter's probes were made of.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

Dotini

Gold Member

Here is a video of a bioengineering professor who is making some interesting experiments with water. With water, hydrophylic surfaces and sunlight he is achieving charge separation, making batteries and doing other neat stuff.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Aug 25, 2011 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

My bet would be that you observe your probes reacting with the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook