Salty water showing a voltage?

In summary, the person has noticed an unusual reading on their digital multimeter when testing a glass of water with table salt in it. The voltage fluctuated and remained steady at times, even after hours of testing. They repeated the experiment with similar results and wondered if it had to do with the salt dissolving. They also mentioned using wet coffee filters and later, the probes of their multimeter. They then shared a video of a bioengineering professor who conducted experiments with water, hydrophylic surfaces, and sunlight to achieve charge separation and make batteries. They concluded by suggesting that the strange reading on the multimeter may be due to the probes reacting with the solution.
SMD1990
Hello. Today, I have observed something which I do not understand. I have a glass of water with some table salt in it. I stuck the probes of my digital multimeter into the water. Strangely, I am getting a reading.

If there is any current, it is less than a tenth of a mA. Still, the voltage has been as much as 300 mV. Though, unsteady.

It went up and down, perhaps as low as half the peak value. Then, it would recover. Sometimes, it would hang around one value with little change. Then suddenly, it would begin to quickly change, before slowing again.

Even after hours, I still see about 30 mV. Though, it is a lot more steady now.

Just a moment ago, I repeated what I did earlier in the day. Similar results.

My analog multimeter does not show any voltage. Then again, the smallest of its ranges is 10 volts. Such small millivolt readings are difficult to make.

Anyway, does this have to do with the dissolution of the table salt? That is the only answer I can come up with...

I had never heard of this before...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are your electrodes made of?

Borek said:
What are your electrodes made of?

Wet coffee filters.

Then later, just whatever my multimeter's probes were made of.

Here is a video of a bioengineering professor who is making some interesting experiments with water. With water, hydrophylic surfaces and sunlight he is achieving charge separation, making batteries and doing other neat stuff.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
SMD1990 said:
Wet coffee filters.

Then later, just whatever my multimeter's probes were made of.

My bet would be that you observe your probes reacting with the solution.

1. What causes salty water to show a voltage?

The presence of ions in salty water creates an electrical potential difference, resulting in a voltage. When salt is dissolved in water, it dissociates into positively and negatively charged ions, which can move freely in the solution. This movement of ions creates an electric current and thus a voltage.

2. How does the voltage in salty water compare to that of regular water?

The voltage in salty water is typically higher than that of regular water because of the presence of ions. Regular water, which does not contain dissolved ions, has a very low conductivity and therefore a very low voltage. Salty water, on the other hand, has a higher conductivity and thus a higher voltage.

3. Can salty water generate a strong enough voltage to power devices?

While salty water can generate a voltage, it is typically not strong enough to power devices on its own. The voltage produced by salty water is usually very low and cannot sustain a continuous flow of electricity. However, it can be used as a power source when combined with other techniques, such as a saltwater battery.

4. Are there any dangers associated with the voltage in salty water?

In general, the voltage produced by salty water is not dangerous. However, if the concentration of salt is too high, the voltage can increase significantly and may pose a risk of electric shock. It is always important to handle any electrical experiments with caution and proper safety measures.

5. Can different types of salt affect the voltage in salty water?

Yes, the type of salt used can affect the voltage produced in salty water. Different types of salts have different concentrations of ions, which can result in varying levels of conductivity and voltage. For example, table salt (sodium chloride) would produce a different voltage than sea salt (sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, and potassium chloride).