Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis to reduce water's saltiness?

1. Feb 12, 2018 #1
    Hi

I wonder if we can reduce the quantity of salt (mostly Cl- and Ca2+) from water by electrolysis and still be safe to drink. I know that with inert electrods (not sure wich ones although) Cl- would be trun into Cl2(g) and I'm concerned by its toxicity even though it's going in the air. But I'm don't know what's going on about the Calcium: if it can be precipitated or if I can't get rid of it and will just need to adjust the pH.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2018 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Won't work.

If you wait long enough Cl2 will be gone. However, you won't get rid of calcium this way, you will just produce hydrogen (think about it: even if you were able to deposit metallic calcium on the electrode surface it will immediately react with water, in reality water just reacts first and the net effect - gaseous hydrogen and unchanged calcium in the solution - is the same). Plus, removed Cl- will be replaced by OH-, making water alkaline and even less drinkable.

4. Feb 12, 2018 #3
    Oh yes I see, that's why I thought about adjusting the pH. But do you think using a chelator such as sodium citrate could help ? I mean having sodium in solution is still better than calcium in term of taste and quantity of OH-.

5. Feb 12, 2018 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You need both calcium and sodium, not sure why you want to get rid of Ca. pH has nothing to do with the Ca2+ presence (that is, some waters can have some correlation, but it is not absolute).

6. Feb 12, 2018 #5
    Thanks for your answer I'll see where I can get with this !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted