Electrolysis to reduce water's saltiness?

In summary, the conversation is about reducing the quantity of salt from water through electrolysis and the safety of drinking the resulting water. The individual is unsure about the process for removing calcium and asks about using a chelator. The response explains that the process will not remove calcium and that pH is not affected by its presence.
Phythochem
Hi

I wonder if we can reduce the quantity of salt (mostly Cl- and Ca2+) from water by electrolysis and still be safe to drink. I know that with inert electrods (not sure which ones although) Cl- would be trun into Cl2(g) and I'm concerned by its toxicity even though it's going in the air. But I'm don't know what's going on about the Calcium: if it can be precipitated or if I can't get rid of it and will just need to adjust the pH.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Won't work.

If you wait long enough Cl2 will be gone. However, you won't get rid of calcium this way, you will just produce hydrogen (think about it: even if you were able to deposit metallic calcium on the electrode surface it will immediately react with water, in reality water just reacts first and the net effect - gaseous hydrogen and unchanged calcium in the solution - is the same). Plus, removed Cl- will be replaced by OH-, making water alkaline and even less drinkable.

Oh yes I see, that's why I thought about adjusting the pH. But do you think using a chelator such as sodium citrate could help ? I mean having sodium in solution is still better than calcium in term of taste and quantity of OH-.

You need both calcium and sodium, not sure why you want to get rid of Ca. pH has nothing to do with the Ca2+ presence (that is, some waters can have some correlation, but it is not absolute).

Thanks for your answer I'll see where I can get with this !

1. What is electrolysis?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is used to break down a substance into its component parts. It involves the use of an electrolytic cell, which contains an electrolyte solution and two electrodes connected to a power source.

2. How does electrolysis reduce water's saltiness?

In the process of electrolysis, the electric current causes the salt (sodium chloride) in the water to break down into its component ions, sodium and chloride. These ions are then attracted to the opposite electrode, where they can be collected and removed from the water. This results in a reduction of saltiness in the water.

3. What are the benefits of using electrolysis to reduce water's saltiness?

Electrolysis offers a more environmentally friendly method of desalination compared to traditional methods such as thermal or reverse osmosis. It also has the potential to be more energy-efficient and cost-effective.

4. Are there any limitations to using electrolysis for desalination?

One of the main limitations of electrolysis for desalination is its high energy consumption. The process also requires a steady supply of electricity, which may not be feasible in some areas. Additionally, the cost of setting up and maintaining an electrolysis system may be prohibitive for smaller communities.

5. Can electrolysis be used to make seawater drinkable?

Yes, electrolysis can be used to make seawater drinkable by removing the salt content. However, it is not a standalone solution and would need to be combined with other purification methods to ensure the water is safe for consumption.