Why am I blowing a laptop powerpack with dc water pump?

In summary, the pump was overloading and the power supply got hot and went into thermal protection mode.
hyphagon
TL;DR Summary
Using a laptop power pack to a dc water pump. Starts fine then after couple of minutes starts pulsing. why?
Hi,

I have a water pump rated 12v dc 2.3A. I tried using Microsoft Surface powerpack rated at 15v dc 2.5A to power it. Pump just started pulsing. I removed the water pump and checked the voltage coming out the powerpack and it was fluctuating between 0 and 15v. Thought I had a dud powerpack so switched it for an Asus laptop powerpack rated 19v dc 2.38A. Checked the voltage before hooking up pump and steady 19v. Hooked pump up and it ran fine for 5 mins then started pulsing. Checked voltage and sure enough fluctuating.

I realise I am running over the rated voltage for the pump but I thought it would damage the pump before the powerpack as the rated power for the pump is less then that of the powerpack. This though assumes constant resistance and Ohm's law through the motor: So current pull drops as voltage increased. I guessing I was wrong and it also current increased which went over the rating of the powerpack blowing it?? Or is there something else at play?

Cheers Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are overloading the pump, it will require more current than specified. The power supply will then get hot and go into thermal protection mode by cyclically shutting down.

What sort of pump are you using, is it a piston or a centrifugal pump ?
What fluid are you pumping, what is the lift height ?

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, Rive and Tom.G
It would worth to check the actual current consumption of the pump. I have a hunch that it'll be something low, far from the rating.

Also: it's always better to use some 'dumb' power supply instead a repurposed smart charger.

Smart ones often wanna' talk with the equipment-in-charge, or has various economic modes of operation or so around batteries. A dumb one just does its job or stops if something is out of spec. Lot less problem.

1. Why is my laptop powerpack blowing when I use it with a DC water pump?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the powerpack is not powerful enough to handle the power requirements of the DC water pump. Another reason could be a short circuit in the powerpack or the pump itself. Additionally, using the wrong type of powerpack or using a damaged powerpack can also cause it to blow when used with a DC water pump.

2. Can using a DC water pump damage my laptop powerpack?

Yes, using a DC water pump with a laptop powerpack that is not designed to handle high power requirements can cause damage to the powerpack. It is important to use the correct type of powerpack or a separate power source for the water pump to avoid any potential damage.

3. How can I prevent my laptop powerpack from blowing when using a DC water pump?

The best way to prevent your laptop powerpack from blowing when using a DC water pump is to use a powerpack that is specifically designed to handle high power requirements. You can also use a separate power source for the water pump to avoid overloading the powerpack.

4. Is it safe to use a DC water pump with a laptop powerpack?

It depends on the power requirements of the water pump and the powerpack. If the powerpack is designed to handle high power requirements and the water pump does not exceed its power limit, then it is safe to use them together. However, if the powerpack is not powerful enough or the water pump requires more power than the powerpack can handle, it can be dangerous and may cause damage to the powerpack or other devices.

5. What should I do if my laptop powerpack blows while using a DC water pump?

If your laptop powerpack blows while using a DC water pump, it is important to stop using it immediately. Check for any signs of damage or a short circuit in the powerpack or the pump. If there is any damage, do not use the devices together again and replace them if necessary. It is also a good idea to use a powerpack with higher power capacity or a separate power source for the water pump to avoid such issues in the future.