Sampling Distribution of the Means

In summary, the conversation discusses the sampling distribution of the mean and the theorem that shows how to calculate its mean and variance. The question is raised about whether the 40 observations from a sample of 10,000 ball bearings will follow the same normal distribution as the population. The answer is confirmed that it is true as long as the population is normally distributed and the mean and standard deviation exist.
Saladsamurai
Hey folks! :smile:

I am working through my text entitled Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists by Walpole et al. I am getting a little stuck on their lackadaisical derivation of the standard deviation of the means. Perhaps I can get a little guidance here by talking it out with someone. Here is their intro to the matter:

TEXTBOOK said:
The first important sampling distribution to be considered is that of the mean [itex]\bar{X}[/itex]. Suppose that a random sample of n observations is taken from a normal population with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex]. Each observation Xi, i = 1,2...,n, of the random sample will then have the same normal distribution as the population being sampled. Hence, by the reproductive property of the normal distribution established in Theorem 7.11. we conclude that

[tex]\bar{X} = \frac{1}{n}(X_1 + X_2 + ...+X_n)[/tex]

has a normal distribution with mean

[tex]\mu_{\bar{X}}= \frac{1}{n}(\mu+\mu+...+\mu)[/tex]

I am a little lost already at the forst 3 sentences. Do they really mean that all of the Xi will have the same normal distribution? Let's say that we have 10 000 ball-bearings with a population mean diameter of [itex]\mu[/itex] and pop variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex]; I take a random sample of n = 40 ball-bearings. It seems they are saying that those 40 diameters will follow the same normal distribution as the population with [itex]\mu \text{ and }\sigma^2[/itex]. But they offer no proof, and furthermore, I do not see why that should be self evident.

Am I misinterpreting their words?Here is Theorem 7.11 for reference:

TEXTBOOK said:
If X1, X2, ...Xn are independent random variables having normal distributions with means [itex]\mu_1,\mu2,...\mu_n[/itex] and variances [itex]\sigma_1^2,\sigma_2^2,...,\sigma_n^2
[/itex], then the random variable [itex] Y = a_1X_1+a_2X_2+...+a_nX_n[/itex] has a normal distribution with [itex]\mu_Y = a_1\mu_1+a_2\mu_2+...+a_n\mu_n[/itex] and variance [itex]\sigma_Y^2 = a_1^2\sigma_1^2+a_2^2\sigma_2^2+...+a_n^2\sigma_n^2
[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it is a little early for a "bump" but I am seeing a lot of views and no responses. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to make my question a little clearer as I realize it is a little open-ended.

I hope I can clarify a little bit. It is assumed that you are taking samples of something, where that something has a normal distribution. Therefore by definition the probability distribution of each sample is normal with the given mean and variance. Theorem 7.11 shows how you can get the mean and variance when you take a linear combination of the estimates.

I think he is asking: can I get a non-representative sample? Or what is the probability of getting a skewed sample of the population?

Hello folks :smile: Thanks for the replies. I think what I am really asking is this: Take the ball bearing example that I mentioned

Saladsamurai said:
Let's say that we have 10 000 ball-bearings with a population mean diameter of [itex]\mu[/itex] and pop variance [itex]\sigma^2[/itex]; I take a random sample of n = 40 ball-bearings.

So we have these 40 observations x1,x2,...,xn. It is saying that these 40 observations follow a normal distribution with the same expectation value and variance as the population from which they came?

I am not sure why I am so unsure of this, but can someone just confirm or reject that this is in fact a true statement before I continue?

Thanks again! :smile:

~Casey

If these 40 are selected from the 10,000, then the statistics for each ball bearing is the same, normal with a mean diameter μ with a variance σ2.

IF you take the sample from a single normally distributed population then the statement is correct. In fact, even without the normality assumption, as long as the population mean and standard deviation exist, the formulae for the mean and variance of the sample mean continue to hold.

1. What is a sampling distribution of the means?

A sampling distribution of the means is a theoretical distribution that represents all possible sample means that could be obtained from a population. It is created by taking multiple random samples from the same population and calculating the mean for each sample.

2. Why is the sampling distribution of the means important?

The sampling distribution of the means is important because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample. It also helps us to understand the variability of sample means and how likely it is that a particular sample mean represents the true population mean.

3. How is the sampling distribution of the means related to the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that as the sample size increases, the sampling distribution of the means approaches a normal distribution regardless of the shape of the population distribution. This means that we can use the normal distribution to make inferences about the population mean, even if the population is not normally distributed.

4. What factors can affect the shape of the sampling distribution of the means?

The shape of the sampling distribution of the means can be affected by the sample size, the variability of the population, and the shape of the population distribution. As the sample size increases, the sampling distribution becomes more normal. Higher variability in the population can result in a wider and more spread out sampling distribution. And if the population is not normally distributed, the sampling distribution may also deviate from a normal distribution.

5. How do we use the sampling distribution of the means in hypothesis testing?

In hypothesis testing, the sampling distribution of the means is used to determine the probability of obtaining a particular sample mean if the null hypothesis is true. This probability is known as the p-value. If the p-value is below a predetermined significance level, typically 0.05, we reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant difference between the sample mean and the population mean.