Proving Sin(x)<=x<=Tan(x) for x Close to 0

• Thread starter forty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
So the correct statement is|sinx|<|x|, for every x, close to 0. And one more thing, the sandwich theorem is used when we cannot easily find the limit of a function. Here, we can find it easily, so we used the sandwich theorem only to prove that the limit is 3.In summary, it is true that sin(x) <= x <= tan(x) for values of x close to zero. This can be proven using the unit circle and does not require L'hopital's rule. It is important to note that this statement is only valid when x is measured in radians. Additionally, when using the sandwich theorem to evaluate the limit of sin(3x)/x as x approaches
forty
Is it true that sin(x) <= x <= tan(x) , for x close to zero??

Can this be proven using the unit circle?

Rather then using L'hopitals rule to solve lim(x->0) of Sin(3x)/x (answer = 3)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] sinx\leq x[/tex] for [tex]x\in[0,\pi][/tex] or

[tex]|sinx|\leq |x|[/tex] for every x. Also

[tex] |tanx| \geq |x| [/tex] for [tex] x \neq \frac{\pi}{2}(2k+1)[/tex]

the proof is quite straightforward in both cases using the unit circle, although there are other methods without reference to the unite circle at all. remember that this is true only when x is measured in radian.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
[tex] sinx\leq x[/tex] for [tex]x\in[0,\pi][/tex]

I just want to jump in here with my massive ignorance and ask something (I haven't gotten to trig yet).

Isn't sin(n) always in the range [0,1]? That is certainly how the sin function of all the programming languages I've used behaves.

If so, sin(n) is always < n in (1,->). Why stop at pi?

k

well, if we want to go all the way through we have to put it under the absolute values, like i did a line below. Because take

[tex] x=-\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex] than clearly the following is not valid

[tex] sin({-\frac{\pi}{6})=-\frac{1}{2}\leq -\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

YOu see the point.

So basically when sin falls in the 3rd and 4rth quadrant than we are in trouble.

kenewbie said:
I just want to jump in here with my massive ignorance and ask something (I haven't gotten to trig yet).

Isn't sin(n) always in the range [0,1]? That is certainly how the sin function of all the programming languages I've used behaves.

If so, sin(n) is always < n in (1,->). Why stop at pi?

k

and one more thing

[tex]|sin(x)|\leq 1[/tex] for all x.

Oh, ok. I thought [0,pi] denoted only the values between 0 and pi inclusive, which would all be positive (except 0 I guess).

Ugh, if the notation I've been using is being thrown out the window for a new one at some point, I'll be mad. I hate when they teach you something that's "wrong" as an "just for now" sort of thing.

k

kenewbie said:
Oh, ok. I thought [0,pi] denoted only the values between 0 and pi inclusive, which would all be positive (except 0 I guess).

Ugh, if the notation I've been using is being thrown out the window for a new one at some point, I'll be mad. I hate when they teach you something that's "wrong" as an "just for now" sort of thing.

k
yeah [0,pi] includes only values between zero and pi. But i just arbitrarly took this interval, since i did not write sinx in abs values, so i wanted to make sure i am talking for only positive values.

So is the following correct??

sin(3x) <= 3x <= tan(3x)

sin(3x) <= 3x <= sin(3x)/cos(3x)

1 <= 3x/sin(3x) <= 1/cos(x)

1 => sin(3x)/3x => cos(3x)

3 => sin(3x)/x => 3cos(3x)

lim(x->0) 3 => lim(x->0) sin(3x)/x => lim(x->0) 3cos(3x)

3 => lim(x->0) sin(3x)/x => 3

.: lim(x->0) sin(3x)/x = 3 (by sandwich theorem)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks correct to me, if you are careful to qualify 0<=x<pi/2. Gotta admit, tho, I think l'Hopital is a bit more direct.

Yeah, like Dick mentioned, you have to be carefull on the interval you are working on.

I thought when you used the sandwich theorem is was known that you are only talking about points close to the limit you are evaluating? So in this case only points close to 0 and yes L'Hopitals rule is much easier but i just wanted to see if it could be done a different way.

Thanks for your help!

forty said:
I thought when you used the sandwich theorem is was known that you are only talking about points close to the limit you are evaluating? So in this case only points close to 0 and yes L'Hopitals rule is much easier but i just wanted to see if it could be done a different way.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, when we use the sandwich theorem, we pretty much look only for points close enought to some point c, but from both sides, that is from the left and from the right also. But since you have x close to zero, it means that x can be negative also, which would make the following statement untrue

sinx<x , say x=-b, where b>0 so

sin(-b)<-b=>-sin(b)<-b=>sin(b)>b, which is not true, here this is a small contradiction, or maybe a warning that we have either to make sure x is only positive, or to put sin and x in abs values.

1. What is the purpose of proving Sin(x)<=x<=Tan(x) for x Close to 0?

The purpose of proving this inequality is to show that for small values of x, the sine of x is always less than or equal to x, and x is always less than or equal to the tangent of x. This is an important result in trigonometry and calculus, and it helps to understand the behavior of these functions near x=0.

2. How is this inequality proven?

This inequality can be proven using the properties of trigonometric functions, such as the definitions of sine and tangent, and the fact that the tangent function is always greater than or equal to the sine function. It can also be proven using techniques from calculus, such as taking derivatives and using the mean value theorem.

3. What is the significance of x Close to 0 in this inequality?

The significance of x Close to 0 is that it represents values that are very small, approaching 0. This is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of these trigonometric functions near 0, which can be useful in many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. Are there any exceptions to this inequality?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this inequality. For example, when x=0, the inequality becomes 0<=0<=0, which is true but not very informative. Additionally, when x is very close to 0, the inequality may not hold exactly due to rounding errors and other computational issues. However, for most practical purposes, this inequality holds true for small values of x.

5. How is this inequality used in mathematics?

This inequality is used in mathematics in various ways. For example, it can be used to prove other trigonometric identities, or to analyze the behavior of functions in calculus. It is also used in many applications in physics, such as in the study of oscillations and waves. Understanding this inequality can also help in solving problems in geometry, mechanics, and other fields that involve trigonometry.