Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SASER is the acoustic analog of a laser

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1

Mk

http://www.aip.org/pnu/2006/split/779-1.html
    Diagram: http://aip.org/png/2006/260.htm
    Paper: http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/ser...00096000021215504000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2
    Like the sound weapons in Dune?

4. Jun 28, 2006 #3
    Interesting, MK. Do you know if this wikipedia write-up of phonons is reliable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon

5. Jun 28, 2006 #4
    Arghh. Read the book, the movie was all wrong.

6. Jun 29, 2006 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This reminds me of a prototype LTL weapon I read about in Popular Science (I think is was PopSci anyway), a "microwave emitter" gun that would shoot out a beam that produces incredible pain to whoever is in its path, but leaves no permanent effects. The author of the article stood in front of it and could only stand there for a second, maybe two. I think they were trying to mount it on a Humvee, but power was an issue... when isn't power an issue with these new weapons?

A great way for riot dispersal... :tongue2:

7. Jun 29, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Mech, 'How Stuff Works' also has an article about the microwave unit, but it's listed as a 'pain gun'.

8. Jun 29, 2006 #7

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jun 29, 2006 #8

J77

I was going to ask what 'raciation' was, but, looking at the PRL, it's a typo (c -> d) :smile:

10. Jul 8, 2006 #9
    Sounds (meh meh meh meh meeeeh) a bit like some of the research I heard about into cooling and heating things using sound. Seem to be quite a cool (:cool:) topic at the moment.

Some guys where trying to build a fridge using a super duper loud speaker. I think the goal may have been to get it to reach cryogenic temperatures such that it could be used for superconducting equipment - think of that experiment where you dip one end of a tube into cryogen and it acoustically sings due to the mechanical changes brought about by the extreme temperature gradient within the tube.

Loads of experiments can benefit from being able to achieve cryogenic temperatures in a tiny space, specially ones that end up in orbit.

I've seen a tiny cryogenic solid state fridge that's about the size of your thumb. It's partially cooled by nitrogen I think, then pumps the rest of the heat out down towards helium temperatures... I think. Anyway, it was tiny and cool looking, and roughly related to my ultra high volume fridge comment. :tongue:

I too was about to ask what raciation is.

Whilst on the topic of lasers, does anyone know what the highest energy laser is at the moment? I know deep blue / UV lasers are commercially available now thanks to Shuji Nakamura, and that the problem with x / gamma wavelengths is the energy transition required and finding something that can exist in a metastable state at such extremes (I heard the word 'isomer' being coined for such laser mediums and that they'd rely on changes in the nucleus as opposed to the electron shell). What about the other direction, are there any lasers that work in the long radiowave spectrum? Can't seem to find much information on the net about these two extremes. Loads for in between, obviously.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?