Satellite in Orbit? - Acceleration & Height of Spy Satellite

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolly6973
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbit Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
wolly6973
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
A spy satellite is in circular orbit around Earth. It makes one revolution in 6.04 hours.
(a) How high above Earth's surface is the satellite?
(b) What is the satellite's acceleration?

I really have no idea what to do on this. All of the equations that I have, I cannot solve because I don't have enough info. Anything that anyone can do to get me started would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
satellite's centripetal force = gravitational force
mv^2/R = GMm/R^2
v^2 = GM/R
R = GM/v^2
also ...
v = 2pi*R/T

you now have all the necessary data and equations to solve for R.

remember that R is the distance between the satellite's and Earth's respective center of masses, T is the orbital period in seconds, G is the universal gravitation constant, and M is the mass of the earth.
 
So I get the equation narrowed down to R^3=(T^2*G*M)/(2pi^2). But I can't seem to get it to work out to the correct answer? Did i mess something up?
 
So I get the equation narrowed down to R^3=(T^2*G*M)/(2pi^2). But I can't seem to get it to work out to the correct answer? Did i mess something up?

For one, the '2' with the 2pi is squared along with the pi (as its written above, it looks like only the pi is squared), so the demoninator should be 4pi^2. The period T should be converted from 6.04 hours to seconds, and to get R, the cube root of the right hand side of the equation must be computed.