Satellite Problems: Find Velocity of Satellite 3600km Above Earth

  • Thread starter Thread starter scoles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
scoles
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
We just started the chapter on circular motion. I am trying to find the velocity of a satellite 3600 km above earth. I came up with v= square root of (g)(Mearth/R). Is this correct? I tried V= 2(pie)R/T, but that didn't give me the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. Keep in mind that you need the radius in that equation, not the height above the Earth. You need to add the radius of the Earth to your altitude.
 
and also, if I wanted to find the force between the Earth and the satellite, would i use the equation for Force centripetal or Force of Gravity?
 
scoles said:
and also, if I wanted to find the force between the Earth and the satellite, would i use the equation for Force centripetal or Force of Gravity?

Think about it... Didn't you just state before that both equations are equal?