Satellite X and Y Orbital Period - Answer B: 1.4x10^6s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Inertialforce
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Inertialforce
Messages
67
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Two satellites, X and Y, are placed in orbit around a planet. Satellite X has period of revolution of 3.6x10^5s and an orbital radius of 7.5x10^8m. If the orbital radius of satellite Y is 3.0x10^9m, what is the orbital period?

A) 9.1x10^5s
B) 1.4x10^6s
C) 2.9x10^6s
D) 5.2x10^7s

Homework Equations


Kepler's third law equation:
(T1/T2)^2 = (R1/R2)^2


The Attempt at a Solution


For this question what I did was use Kepler's third law and the answer I got was "B". But I was wondering is this correct because satellite X it says it has a "period of revolution of 3.6x10^5s", is this the same as "orbital period"?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Inertialforce said:
For this question what I did was use Kepler's third law and the answer I got was "B". But I was wondering is this correct because satellite X it says it has a "period of revolution of 3.6x10^5s", is this the same as "orbital period"?

they are one and the same.