1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Saw this question online.

1. Aug 17, 2012 #1
    The amount of water in a tank doubles every minute. If the tank was full at the 1 hour mark, when was the tank half full?
    =============================
    It's not homework, I'm just trying to get the actual (reasoned) answer..
    Here is the answer I argued (though, I'm not sure):
    2^x = [(2^59)/2]
    2^x = 2^58
    x = 58
    But, almost everyone argues:
    If it doubles every minute, isn't it half full the minute before it's full? ie. 59

Pretty sure I'm incorrect, I just want to know for sure..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2012 #2
    The argument of everyone (not yours) is correct.
    Your working is correct as well, its just that your first equation is wrong.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  4. Aug 17, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

V = k*2x, where x is in minutes and k is some unknown constant (the volume of the tank at the start of the timer x=0).

At x=60 the tank is full, therefore, if we denote the full volume of the tank as Vf then Vf=k*260. Now, We want to know when the tank is half full, which is Vf/2

Clearly, Vf/2 = k*260/2 = k*259

If we compare this to the original equation, x=59 minutes as you would expect.

I know this explanation is long-winded, but I hope it got the point across as to how you should have set up the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook