Calculating the Moments on the Walls of a Tank filled with Water

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment a tank wall experiences. The tank contains water with dimensions 4m wide, 12m long, and 3m tall. The formula used to calculate the force acting on the wall is F = p * g * a * y, where p is the density of water, g is gravity, a is area, and y is the distance from the top of the tank to the wall's centroid. The total force acting on the long side of the wall is found to be 529740N. However, when trying to calculate the moment at the center of the long side, the approach taken is found to be incorrect. The conversation concludes with the correct calculation of the moment as
tomtomtom1
Homework Statement
Calculating Moments of a Tank Wall of Water
Relevant Equations
F = p * g * a * y

p = density of water (1000)

g = gravity (9.81)

a = area (36)

y = distance from the top of the tank to the walls centroid (1.5)
Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me calculate the moment a tank wall experiences.

I have the following question:-

Tank contains water with dimensions:
4m Wide
12m Long
3m Tall

Determine the moment at the bottom of the long side at its centre.

I have drawn a sketch of the tank and highlighted in dark what I believe is the "bottom of the long side"

f1.JPG
To calculate the force acting on the wall (12 x 3) I have done the following:-

F = p * g * a * y
p = density of water (1000)
g = gravity (9.81)
a = area (36)
y = distance from the top of the tank to the walls centroid (1.5)

1000 * 9.81 * 36 * 1.5 = 529740 N of force acting on the wall.

I think that since i have a total force of 529740N acting on the long side of the wall then to calculate the moment at the centre of the long side i would do (12/2) * 529740 = 3178440Nm.

The reason i have done this is because moment is distance (in this case 6m) multiplied by perpendicular force (in this case 529740) i have been told that this is wrong.

I am not really sure where to go from here?

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
i would do (12/2) * 529740
Assign symbols to variables and work with symbols instead of numbers. You know why, I hope ?

12/2 is no good at all. Why ?

Make a cross section at the center of the long wall and draw the force on the wall at the proper distanc from the bottom.

tomtomtom1 said:
1000 * 9.81 * 36 * 1.5 = 529740 N of force acting on the wall
Didn't we just do an exercise on how to calculate such a force ?

Likes tomtomtom1
BvU said:
Assign symbols to variables and work with symbols instead of numbers. You know why, I hope ?

12/2 is no good at all. Why ?

Make a cross section at the center of the long wall and draw the force on the wall at the proper distanc from the bottom.

Didn't we just do an exercise on how to calculate such a force ?
BvU

I got it thanks.

I was looking at the tank from the wrong perspective.

Calculated by force as 529.2kN
Moment worked out to be 529.2kNm because when i projected centriod of the force distribution i got 1/3 of 3m which is 1m and moment is distance * force which got me 529.2kNm.

Thank you for your patience.

1. How do you calculate the moments on the walls of a tank filled with water?

To calculate the moments on the walls of a tank filled with water, you will need to know the weight of the water, the dimensions of the tank, and the center of gravity of the water. You can then use the formula M = W * d, where M is the moment, W is the weight of the water, and d is the distance from the center of gravity to the wall.

2. What is the center of gravity of the water in the tank?

The center of gravity of the water in the tank is the point where the weight of the water is evenly distributed. It is usually located at the geometric center of the tank, but it can also vary depending on the shape and volume of the tank.

3. How does the shape of the tank affect the calculation of moments?

The shape of the tank can affect the calculation of moments because it determines the distribution of the water's weight. For example, a cylindrical tank will have a different center of gravity and distribution of weight compared to a rectangular tank of the same volume.

4. What are the units for moments on the walls of a tank filled with water?

The units for moments on the walls of a tank filled with water will depend on the units used for weight and distance. For example, if weight is measured in kilograms and distance is measured in meters, the moment will be in kilogram-meters (kg-m).

5. Can the moments on the walls of a tank filled with water be negative?

Yes, moments on the walls of a tank filled with water can be negative. A negative moment indicates that the force on the wall is in the opposite direction of the positive moment. This can happen if the center of gravity of the water is not directly above the point where the moment is being calculated.