Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Scalar and vector potentials and magnetic monopoles

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write down expressions oer E and B fields in terms of [tex]\varphi[/tex] and [tex]\bar{A}[/tex]. Demonstrate that this definition of B is consistent with the non-existence of magnetic monopoles.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part of the question is easy. i.e. bookwork
    [tex]B = \nabla \times \bar{A}[/tex]
    [tex]E = \nabla\varphi - \frac{\partial{A}}{\partial t}\[/tex]

I dont know how to approach the second part of the question though

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi peterjaybee! :smile:

Hint: there is electric charge, but (if there are no magnetic monopoles) there's no magnetic charge (ie, you can't have a particle or an object with overall magnetic charge) … so how does electric charge come out of the equations in a way that magnetic charge can't? :wink:

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I believe you're missing a minus sign for the E-field. Grab your book and go to the page where the Maxwell equations are listed. Can you identify the equation that has electric charge as a source term?

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4
    thanks, yes you are right the minus sign should be there.

With regards to the second part, i think I have it thanks to your hints. Div B = 0 is the maxwell eqn that shows there are no magnetic monopoles (as there are no source terms - unlike for div E). The definition of the vector potential is consistent with this because the divergence of a curl is always zero.

6. Apr 16, 2010 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yes that is correct.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook