Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Scalar Fields with the Same Mass

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the Peskin&Schröder's QFT book there's an exercise that's about a pair of scalar fields, ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, having the field equations

##\left(\partial^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+m^2 \right)\phi_1 = 0##
    ##\left(\partial^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+m^2 \right)\phi_2 = 0##

where the mass parameter is the same for both fields. Now I can make a "rotation",

##\phi_{1}^{'} = \cos \alpha \phi_1 - \sin \alpha \phi_2##
    ##\phi_{2}^{'} = \cos \alpha \phi_2 + \sin \alpha \phi_1##

which mixes the two fields. The generator of this rotation apparently has properties of angular momentum, but has nothing to do with spacetime. The symmetry can also remain if a four-point interaction is added in the form of terms proportional to ##(\phi_1)^4##, ##(\phi_2)^4## and ##\phi_1^2 \phi_2^2## in the Lagrangian density.

From other sources I got the impression that this has something to do with the Higgs mechanism... How does this extend to more than 2 scalar fields, and can a pair of vector, tensor or spinor fields have a similar property? If the fields have almost the same mass, is there some useful way to treat the mass difference as some kind of a perturbation?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #2

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is just a scalar field theory with an SU(N) internal symmetry. The field can be represented as a vector. If the symmetry is promoted to a local symmetry it will become a nonabelian gauge theory coupled to a scalar field.

You can also have this for spinor fields

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I'll still need to read more about this to understand the case where the symmetry is only approximate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted