Scale Reading in Elevator: Mass, Acceleration, and Velocity Calculations

In summary: Thanks for your help. I am understanding the concepts slowly. Where do I search on this website for textbooks? Would you know of any textbook that explains these concepts but are not to technical to understand?
Prashant91

Homework Statement

A person stands on a scale in a elevator at rest. The scale reads 900N.
1) what is the persons mass
2) the elevator accelerates up at 2.5m/s^2. What does the scale read now ?
3)The elevator then continues to move upwards with a steady speed of 4m/s for 5 seconds. What does the scale read during this period
4)the elevator now decelerates at 1.8m/s^2 until it reaches zero velocity. What does the scale read during this period[/B]

Homework Equations

: F=ma and W=mg [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) rearrange w=mg for m = 900/9.81 = 91.7kg

2) a= 9.81+2.5 = 12.31 so f=ma ... f=91.7*12.31 = 1128.8N

3) I AM COMPLETELY STUCK ON THIS PART ? -if it is moving upwards at 4m/s for 5 seconds. Then there would be no acceleration as a=0
so the scale would read the same 1128 N
would i need to show any working out instead of w=mg = 91.7* 9.8 ?

4) COMPLETELY STUCK - I UNDERSTAND A= -1.8M/S^2 as it is decelerating [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 3) if it is moving upwards at 4m/s for 5 seconds. Then there would be no acceleration as a=0

so the scale would read the same 1128 N

would i need to show any working out instead of w=mg = 91.7* 9.8

Last edited:
Do you draw a free body diagram and sum your forces? That would make it considerably simpler. Your solutions for 1 and 2 are indeed correct. However, I cannot think of a physics teacher that would not take off points on a test for the lack of free body diagram and summing of forces.

Last edited:
AlephNumbers said:
Do you draw a free body diagram and sum your forces? That would make it considerably simpler. Your solutions for 1 and 2 are indeed correct. However, I cannot think of a physics teacher that would not take off points on a test for the lack of free body diagram and summing of forces.

how would i draw a free body diagram and sum forces ? is there any tutorial or website i could reference off ?

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/U2l2d.cfm might help. And here is a decent video . Make sure you understand Newton's three laws. The mathematics are resultant from his postulations about motion. I would recommend taking an introductory physics course from a certified teacher, honestly. There are some free textbooks here on PF, but most of them seem to deal with more advanced topics. It's worth a look though.

Really, that video is hardly a substitute for a good lecture.

AlephNumbers said:
Really, that video is hardly a substitute for a good lecture.

thanks for your help. i am understanding the concepts slowly. Where do i search on this website for textbooks. Would you know of any textbook that explains these concepts but are not to technical to understand.

1. What is the scale/elevator question?

The scale/elevator question is a thought experiment that explores the concept of relative motion and how it affects measurements of weight and mass.

2. How does the scale/elevator question relate to physics?

The scale/elevator question is a common problem used in physics courses to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the effects of gravity on objects.

3. Can you explain the scenario of the scale/elevator question?

Sure, the scenario involves a person standing on a scale in an elevator that is either accelerating upwards or moving at a constant velocity. The question is, will the scale show a different weight in each scenario?

4. What is the answer to the scale/elevator question?

The answer is that the scale will show a different weight in each scenario. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the person will feel heavier and the scale will show a higher weight. When the elevator is moving at a constant velocity, the person will feel their normal weight and the scale will show the same weight as on the ground.

5. Why is the scale/elevator question important for scientists to understand?

Understanding the scale/elevator question is important for scientists because it demonstrates the concept of relative motion and how it can affect measurements. It also helps to solidify the understanding of Newton's laws of motion and the effects of gravity on objects.