Schaum's outline of Electromagnetism

In summary: It really helps to cement what you've learned in the current chapter/section.In summary, Nayfeh and Brussel's Electricity and Magnetism is a longer, more difficult book than Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics. If you can't find Schaum's EM book in the library, you can find a djvu (electronic photocopy) online.
inko1nsiderat
I am studying for my junior level EM final that is a few weeks from now, we are using Griffiths' Introduction to electrodynamics. To prep for the test I am already planning on working through all of our homework problems, and examples in relevant sections, as well as a few problems we didn't do for our homework. I want to work as many problems as possible so I am looking at possibly getting the Schaum's outline for EM for as a source of problems that isn't from Griffiths' book.

Does anyone have experience with Schaum's outlines on this subject? How does the difficulty of problems in Schaum's compare to those found in Griffiths?

If you have alternative sources that you would recommend I am open to anything that helps me study.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if you can find

Nayfeh and Brussel, Electricity and Magnetism

at the library (may be too late to order a used copy). The book is chock full of solved problems. It uses SI units.

Daverz said:
See if you can find

Nayfeh and Brussel, Electricity and Magnetism
Hint: type this in Google, and you'll get links to ebooks (2nd and 3rd link already).
The book is chock full of solved problems
I see short solutions to odd-numbered problems, and a few worked examples, nothing more?

I use Schaum's electromagnetism book for my engineering electromagnetics courses, but honestly the problems are quite easy compared to griffiths, you might do better by looking for some other textbook.

griffiths solutions manaul is online if you use some clever google searches.

Landau said:
Hint: type this in Google, and you'll get links to ebooks (2nd and 3rd link already).

I see short solutions to odd-numbered problems, and a few worked examples, nothing more?

I don't know what that thing online is. Is this what you're referring to?

http://physicsebooks.info/electromagnetics/electricity-and-magnetism-munir-h-nayfeh-morton-k-brussel/ [Broken]

First, the book is over 600 pages long, not 192, and it has hundreds of worked examples (why would I have mentioned it otherwise?) It was my undergrad text, and I hung on to it through graduate school and until recently when I lost it in a move.

If you can't find it in the library, and you don't have scruples about such things, there's a djvu (essentially an electronic photocopy) floating around.

Last edited by a moderator:
bman! said:
griffiths solutions manaul is online if you use some clever google searches.

What's clever? I am dying to know :smile:

Daverz said:
First, the book is over 600 pages long, not 192
Yes, my version too.
and it has hundreds of worked examples (why would I have mentioned it otherwise?)
No need to get defensive, I just asked a question. Since you said "solved problems", I assumed you meant that all (or most) exercises had solutions. But indeed, there many examples, and the texts looks helpful to me, thanks.
Saladsamurai said:
What's clever? I am dying to know :smile:
Clever is just typing griffiths solution manual electrodynamics. For example, this link works.

Landau said:
Yes, my version too.
No need to get defensive, I just asked a question. Since you said "solved problems", I assumed you meant that all (or most) exercises had solutions.

You're right though, there is a distinction. I suppose you could read the examples with a folded sheet of paper to block the solutions. Or just read the solutions, but try to solve the problems with the book closed, only peeking when you get stuck.

By the way, I think it's enormously helpful before a final to rework the problems in the previous homework and exams.

What is "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism"?

"Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" is a comprehensive study guide for the subject of electromagnetism, covering topics such as electric fields, magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and more. It is designed to help students understand and apply the fundamental principles of electromagnetism.

Who is the author of "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism"?

The author of "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" is Joseph A. Edminister, a professor of electrical engineering at the University of Akron. He has extensive experience teaching and writing about electromagnetism and other subjects in electrical engineering.

Is "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" is suitable for beginners. It covers the basic principles of electromagnetism in a clear and accessible manner, making it a valuable resource for students who are new to the subject.

Does "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" include practice problems?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" includes hundreds of practice problems with detailed solutions. These problems are designed to help students reinforce their understanding of the material and prepare for exams.

Is "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" a good supplement to a textbook?

Yes, "Schaum's Outline of Electromagnetism" is a great supplement to a textbook. It provides additional explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students better understand the concepts covered in their textbook.